Totally Home-Made Oscillating Mechanism - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 16th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #46
Regular Crew

No Problem!

I don't have any samples right now from the latest effort because It's not ready yet. I do have an image here from the condensor if anyone wants to see. I was using the ThorLabs 1500 grit ground glass, condensor and DVX100a. The lens is a nikon 50mm 1.4. The ground glass wasn't moving and it had a lot of dirt on it, as you can see.

www.papalico.com/Condensor.tif

-Gev
Gev Babit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Hope I'll get good result too :) Your work is excellent...

http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p962.jpg

Hope the weight of DOF will absorb all vibrations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gev Babit
No Problem!

I don't have any samples right now from the latest effort because It's not ready yet. I do have an image here from the condensor if anyone wants to see. I was using the ThorLabs 1500 grit ground glass, condensor and DVX100a. The lens is a nikon 50mm 1.4. The ground glass wasn't moving and it had a lot of dirt on it, as you can see.

www.papalico.com/Condensor.tif

-Gev

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Hey Daves, Thank you.

Bravo, that looks good!
If you are going to use a focusing screen try to keep the movment under 1mm. So if you offset the shaft by .5mm then you get 1mm of movment. Try to keep it around there or else you can get vibrations and the focusing screen will lose its effect if you move it too much. Congrats on making the mechanism, many people here are afraid to try it and don't think it can be done at home with these limited tool sets, but see you have. Looks Great, keep it up!

-Gev
Gev Babit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Thanks,

my work is not so precise as your, I just wanted to try it and I made this in one day in hurry. I know if I would like to do it for second time, I will make more things much better. But unfortunately it does not work with any kind of fresnel lens, which i initialy plan it for. Once you get the lens move (even fresnel), you'll get perfect optical destabiliser. For GG works great.

http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p971.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gev Babit
Hey Daves, Thank you.

Bravo, that looks good!
If you are going to use a focusing screen try to keep the movment under 1mm. So if you offset the shaft by .5mm then you get 1mm of movment. Try to keep it around there or else you can get vibrations and the focusing screen will lose its effect if you move it too much. Congrats on making the mechanism, many people here are afraid to try it and don't think it can be done at home with these limited tool sets, but see you have. Looks Great, keep it up!

-Gev

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #50
Major Player

Has anyone besides me and Dan posted a sample video of the orbital type adapter ? ( I posted 720P video a while back )
For me getting rid of the image shake/vibration took 3 attempts at a mechanism.
Now that I solved the stability, I still have to try the Maxwell screen, I just have been too busy with some other film projects to get to it.

For those of you with a device, and a memory of the old Wendy's ad:
"Where's the beef ? "

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #51
Regular Crew

I guess you will fall in same troubles as me, if you will be using fresnel lens (Maxxwell). Everything what is not in focus will move around, cause of fresnel lens movement. Anybody correct me, if I am not right, but you CAN NOT make anything moving with fresnel type of GG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Dit
Has anyone besides me and Dan posted a sample video of the orbital type adapter ? ( I posted 720P video a while back )
For me getting rid of the image shake/vibration took 3 attempts at a mechanism.
Now that I solved the stability, I still have to try the Maxwell screen, I just have been too busy with some other film projects to get to it.

For those of you with a device, and a memory of the old Wendy's ad:
"Where's the beef ? "

-Les

Old April 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #52
Major Player

From my handheld test with the Maxwell you can move it BUT only in a very tight circle. Every design is different but if you want to reduce vibrations there are some general rules to go by:

1)Make your GG and GG holder as light weight as possible
2)Make the oscillating movement as small as possible
3)Counter weight the movement of the GG and GG holder
4)Make everything working tightly together and evenly weighted

Les-
Which HD camera do you have? The old JVC or one of the new HD cameras? Im looking foward to Panasonic's camera this year. It has 1080p 24 fps and true slow mo in 720p not to mention DVCPRO HD format.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #53
Major Player

Brett,
I have the old JVC, the HD10. The new one from JVC looks too good to be true!
I expect them to delete certain features on it to 'correctly' place it in the marketplace. ( paraphrasing what internal marketing people would be saying ;) )

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves Spi
Anybody correct me, if I am not right, but you CAN NOT make anything moving with fresnel type of GG...
Anybody correct me, if I am not right, but {I} CAN NOT make anything moving with fresnel type of GG...

you are denying 9 months of footage Daves..... but it's OK...
... here is last weekend commercial (DVX100A) on top of many other footage samples posted before....
https://webmail.shaw.ca/attach/ALL_S...al%20Audio.mov
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Anybody correct me, if I am not right, but {I} CAN NOT make anything moving with fresnel type of GG...

you are denying 9 months of footage Daves.....
Happy to see another opinion and hope I will get there :) Probably with very tight movement...

But... think... Fresnel is just a type of lens. In fact its just thin lens. What will happen if you move this lens ? You are changing the projecting paths and not focused image will move...
Maybe Im completly wrong, I have in my mind lots of moving mechanismes starting from eccentric rotating GG in circle by center of GG, through circle moving on pairs of runners made by springs and lobe.

Just voiced my piece of knowledge and glad to hear yours... Im watching this thread, if I reach something, I will let you know :)

Im not saying "it will not work", Im saying "I think it will not work, lets discuss it" :)

Old May 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Im saying "I think it will not work" let's discuss it
Did you see this? :
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/albums...shock_test.wmv
The first five seconds should be a good clue as to whether I think is working or no. If you want to discuss it, call me: 604-780-1818. The way I am doing it now is patent pending. There are other ways that worked just as well (as I have tried a long no of versions) and lead to the same result (only different approaches)
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Did you see this? :
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/albums...shock_test.wmv
The first five seconds should be a good clue as to whether I think is working or no. If you want to discuss it, call me: 604-780-1818. The way I am doing it now is patent pending. There are other ways that worked just as well (as I have tried a long no of versions) and lead to the same result (only different approaches)
I missed this one, but have three another shots from your adapter in action... And I saw its able to work perfectly... I just did not know, you are using beattie.

Do not post me anymore video, otherwise I'll get heart attack ;-)

Nice jobs, we all know you did it :-)

For all who are using beattie and want to try : do not set movement as big as 3mm in diameter. I did and it do not work with beattie. Keep it tight as possible.

Old May 9th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
I
Do not post me anymore video, otherwise I'll get heart attack ;-)
Do not look at my clips as poison. Take them as vaccines. Whit each one you get stronger, know more, become immune and get motivated ;-)<
Movement is 0.2 to 0.5mm (so 0.1 to 0.25 radius) ......at 3mm, no wonder you saw what you saw (good for a massage though!;-)< )
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #59
Major Player

Gev, where did you put the condenser in the mix of your camera and the GG? I see some people putting it after the GG

ACTION << GG << COND. <<camera

But I would have thought that the light needs to be spread out before it reaches the GG ? how did you do it?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM   #60
Regular Crew

This is how I put the condensor, but im not usuing one anymore.
I have tried both ways but I get better results like this.

SLR Lens < GG < Condensor < Achromat < Camera

From my understanding the light is collected from the ground glass and then focused with the condensor and then the camera sees that.

Hope that helps.......
Gev Babit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods