DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Various M35 topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/40326-various-m35-topics.html)

Robert Double April 18th, 2005 12:36 AM

16x9 with GS400

Hi,

I am very interested in the adapter, however just wondering will I be able to shoot in widescreen using a Panasonic GS400 in 16x9 mode?

Thanks

Robert

Mark Kubat April 18th, 2005 02:12 AM

GS400 - smaller than 72mm of DVX....

the GS400 is smaller lens diameter than 72mm of the DVX for which micro35 is currently customized...

as an ardent future end-user of micro35, I welcome the possibility for other cams to be supported...

The GS400 certainly is a great little camera very worthy of having some sort of d.o.f. solution realized... it's a great value for the money - if I had to suddenly buy a new cam, with limited funds, I'd take the GS400...

You might be able to use "step-up" rings to get the adapter to fit - but your actual field of view and maybe another type of condenser/macro would be different at the "back end" of the micro35 to make it work for the GS400...

Good luck!

Wesley Wong April 18th, 2005 03:17 AM

micro35 on the Sony Z1 HDV ?

Anyone knows if this will fit/work too ? on top of the Pd-150/170s.

Mark Kubat April 18th, 2005 03:30 AM

Z1 has same 72mm thread as DVX...

My hunch, having shot extensively with both DVX and Sony HDV FX1/Z1, is that tweaking the micro35 for Sony HDV will be minimal to negligible - both share 72mm thread... from using various wide angle adapters etc. between the two cams, the fields of view seem pretty similar, as is the zoom/macro capability - maybe to get it perfect, the "back end" of the micro35 (the part that attaches to the camcorder) will need some tweaking in terms of condenser/macro fine-tuning of distances to make it "bang-on" but it shouldn't be too big a hassle...

I too am very excited to try out the micro35 with Sony HDV - it should rock!

Aaron Shaw April 18th, 2005 08:03 AM

Though one does wonder if these adapters are up to the HD challenge. We see a resolution loss even in SD so I'm guessing the image would be rather poor in HD.

Jeff Patnaude April 18th, 2005 09:16 AM

The director, Christopher Haring (insert oomlots onto the "a" please) has shot two really well made music videos with the FX-1 and the micro35. The results are amazing, and I'm still trying to buy the music.

The Z1 will give you added benefits.
Discussed on another thread here.
See "Emanuella" and "Such a Surge."

http://www.hmanvisions.com/links.html

Jeff Patnaude

Mark Kubat April 18th, 2005 12:41 PM

Jeff, excellent point

I just saw the new "Magnum" clip too - I think the FX1/Z1 may actually hold an important advantage for the micro35 due to its inherent low-light superiority - everyone with these type of adaptors talk about the fact that because you're shooting through additional elements (ie. glass, focusing screens or gg's, etc.) you lose stops - well, the opening to Magnum clip at night is incredible...

also, don't forget that Olivier dude from Blacksheep who's got the home-made adaptor - their system is more primitive due to static, home-made design - but they've achieved some impressive results.

Haering's stuff shows yes, we MUST HAVE micro35 for Sony HDV...

And now that Sony Vegas 6 NLE allows Sony HDV to achieve TRUE 24p (yes, it's true! - check out the news... it's EVERYWHERE)...

James and Redrock - pls. do not neglect Sony HDV - I'd say it's definitely a priority over say developing for PD-150 or XL2... if you've chosen the XL2, you're not WORTHY enough a shooter to DESERVE d.o.f....

Oh geez - I'm just kidding folks!!!

Smile!

Aaron Shaw April 18th, 2005 12:43 PM

Weren't these shot with the mini35 not the micro35?

It's really hard to tell resolution from compressed files. Any chance we could get a res chart shot?

James Hurd April 18th, 2005 03:12 PM

Mark,
Sony is next my friend, and I can't wait!

james
www.micro35.com

Mark Kubat April 18th, 2005 03:19 PM

James...

if I ever have children, and if I ever a son... I'll name him...

Micro 35...

Now, wait...

"James."

Thank you, dude! That is the news I wanted to hear!

Cody Dulock April 18th, 2005 03:47 PM

im confident the micro35 will work with the gs400. as long as your camera has manual focus it shouldnt be a problem.

Robert Double April 18th, 2005 05:37 PM

That was my hunch Cody. It has manual focus, and getting a stepup ring to 72 shoudnt be a problem. I was just more interested in the 16x9 aspect.

35mm lens project an image that is in a 4:3 ratio, and I was wondering if the image projected on the ground glass is big enough to capture in a 16:9 ratio? I think that makes sense :-) The GS400 has big enough CCD's to capture in 16:9.

Cheers

Robert

Cody Dulock April 18th, 2005 06:27 PM

i duno how the gs400's 16x9 mode works... but if its just adding a letter box to the image then you will have no problem... now for squeeze mode and true 16x9 im sure theres a possibility it could work, but im not to sure... i dont think you will have to step up to 72mm... once you get the guide, everything will make sense im sure.

Wesley Wong April 21st, 2005 11:53 AM

OK, assume the micro35 will come as kit and preassembled, sometime int he near future, if ever ...

What about an adaptive folow focus accesory for all the 35mm lenses we're going to use with the micro 35 ??

Danny Dahlquist April 21st, 2005 12:50 PM

Canon XL-1 / XL-2 updates?

Any news on how the micro35 is developing for the Canon XL series?