Water and oil anamorphic prisms - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #61
Regular Crew

I'll post some pics tonight of the way I had it set up. I also have a new rear prism about 1/2 done with a different angle in the prism.

With the larger angle prism it would only work with the prism points facing towards the front of the camera. I'll post some pics tonight so you can see what I was saying.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Oscar

Bottom of the page...

http://www.twistedinsomniac.com/mini35/
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #63
Major Player

I checked my prisms, but just by looking through them does not make you think it's stretching that much, so are you sure the first setup is doing nothing? I just don't understand. Try looking at something square.

Also (I know it as just a quick test), but notice that there is color aberration in your picture so you have to place the prisms in a smaler angle (to each other and the camera lens) There is just one angle where the aberration is gone.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #64
Major Player

Keith you are making awesome progress! Good for you, I would love to see more. How did you come up with the Wax technique?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #65
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mandy Leo : Keith you are making awesome progress! Good for you, I would love to see more. How did you come up with the Wax technique? -->>>

Thanks. It's getting there. I based the wax glass on the ideas I got from this thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=33489

It's slowly but surely getting there.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Oscar:

I have the rear prism done using a smaller angle and the front is about 1/4 done. I should be able to test these new ones tomorrow and see if that makes it worse or better. I'll let you know what i find out.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #67
Major Player

I myself am waiting on a achromatic dioptre that I ordered off ebay without bidding - I just couldn't wait! When that comes in, I am going to finish up my DOF machien and onto the anamorphic prism, which I think is awesome! Great job both Oscar and Keith.
I am going to have to source out some cheap museum glass though...
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #68
Major Player

For the glass, try a framer (as in: frames for paintings), they often have left over strips of museum glass.

I also want to let people know that my 16:9 prisms work perfectly, as I have shot some 30 minutes of footage without any trouble. The prisms are not too heavy, are not too vulnerable(I dropped one on the floor by accident and nothing happened) and in my setup they are easily positionable when changing lenses.
I can use 50mm and 135mm lenses with no problems.

On more thing, the museum glass deals with reflections perfectly, I had only one lens flare when I put the camera next to a 500w spot with totally uncovered lenses and no sunshades.
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #69
Regular Crew

That's great to hear Oscar. I'm amking progress on my new front prism and I think I have enough materials to make a set with 30 degree prisms so that way we can compare the 3 sets to do any calculation we might need to do. Once I get a set looking close to what i want it to I'm going to contact some framing shops to see about getting some scrap pieces.

Also does anti reflective mean the same thing as anti glare?
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #70
Major Player

Footage Oscar, footage!!! I want to see it!
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #71
Major Player

Let me edit it a bit and I'll post some....tomorrow, it's too late at night at my half of the globe right now.
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #72
Major Player

I'm looking forward to it.
Old April 16th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #73
Major Player

Hey Oscar,

I am having a bit of a time finding 'museum' glass. Two places today never heard of it, but another place - after I explained - showed me non-glare glass, the problem was it was slightly frosted. Is there another name for it?
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #74
Major Player

It's also called anti-reflective glass and sometimes UV-glass, but than you have to be sure it has an anti-reflective coating too.
The non-glare glass is unusable. Like you said, it's frosted (like a pretty good ground glass actually.)

Take a look at http://www.tru-vue.com/Content.asp?pn=consumer/products
Thats the kind of glass you need.

OK, here's just a portion of the test scene I did last week, to show a small pan with the anamorphic lens (and a 135mm lens on the adapter) click on the top link on my page:
http://doublecam.250free.com/
The dark spots on the top left got nothing to do with the lenses, it's dust on the mirror of my double camera system.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #75
New Boot

Any more news? After seeing that footage, I was amped!
Jonathan Pacheco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods