Lenses for M35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 10th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #16
New Boot

BTW do you guys know if PANASONIC TC-7WMS1 LCD does flip verticaly??
Michal Spimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #17
Micro35

Michal,
I believe there's a thread already started on that subject. You may have better luck posting that question over here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40613

Thanks!

james

www.micro35.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #18
New Boot

Lens Length Effects

How much does the 35mm and 70mm lens vary regarding the effect they have on picture. I know one of the things would be probably more shallow depth of field using 70 vs 35. But how do they compare when wide open. What kind of look should I expect from each one of them. BTW I'm looking for a very generalized idea.

Thank you

M.
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #19
Micro35

Michal,
I can only speak for the EOS SLR lenses. If you look at the Horse video on the micro35.com site, it was shot with two different lenses. One was a Sigma 24-70mm and the other was a Canon 75-300mm. The 75-300mm had the loose focus breathing. I believe this is a characteristic of the zooming mechanism of the lens.

james
www.micro35.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for but here are some of my thoughts - may or may not be useful:

A 35mm lens will of course give you a much wider field of view than a 70mm.

Generally speaking shorter focal lengths (smaller numbers) tend to emphesize the distance between things in the foreground vs the background. Telephoto lenses compress the image making far away things (in the background) seem much closer to the subject.

As for sharpness, aberration etc, this can only be analyzed on a lens by lens basis.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Case in point

Aaron Shaw wrote:

"Generally speaking shorter focal lengths (smaller numbers) tend to emphasize the distance between things in the foreground vs the background. Telephoto lenses compress the image making far away things (in the background) seem much closer to the subject."

My favorite story (which was told to me as true) that illustrates the point is about a small town city council meeting. There was a group of citizens that wanted to limit the number of billboards that were popping up along the adjacent highway. The local outdoor advertiser, naturally opposed any restrictions citing that the billboard were a reasonable distance apart and not an eyesore at all.

After an unfruitful discussion, it was determined that each group should photograph examples to illustrate their points of view and bring the photos to the next city council meeting. The group wanting the billboards hired a photographer who chose a wide angle lens. He picked a section of highway and captured an image that showed the billboard so far apart that there was no way anyone could possibly complain.

The opposing group also hired a photographer. By coincidence, he chose the same section of highway to make his point. But he chose a long telephoto lens. The photograph he created showed the billboards so close together that they looked like a picket fence.

Armed with their evidence, the two groups arrived at the monthly council meeting. When presented with the photos, the council members became extremely irritated. They threw out both photographs because they had determined, since the camera doesn't lie, that the group that opposed the billboards had obviously gone out and put up a bunch of billboards to make them look bad AND the group that wanted the billboard to stay had gone out and torn them all down. Meeting adjourned.
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #22
New Boot

That's a good one Larry.hahaha..hmm so I gotta choose lens based on if I'm pro billboard or against? :P
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi James,

you wrote you will sell complete kit for ~500 US$. Do you have a german/european reseller?

How would you compare your device to the P+S mini35 adapter? We shot the first 90min docu-feature world wide with the min35 adapter and the Canon XL1s. Was a great experience beside the DV compression artefacts.

Does you kit conflict with patents from P+S?

Will you support the new JVC HD 100 HDV camera coming on NAB? That will be a MUST HAVE camera option...

Questions over questions,
Axel Mertes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #24
New Boot

How much difference there is between ekran f2 and f1.4 75mm lens?? Is it worth extra couple of houndred $$. is the picture quality gonna be considerably better when used with micro35?? Thanks
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

The only real difference between the F2 and F1.4 lenses is 1 F-stop. The image quality should be very similar.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #26
New Boot

so does it make sense spend lot of money on high quality lenses when the quality won't match the price. I guess what I'm trying to find out if it makes sense to put 2k chorme rims on old beaten up car. it's still gonna perform the same. thanks
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #27
Regular Crew

It is not really a question of quality. It is a matter of quantity of light. The F1.4 lens lets in twice as much light as the F2 lens.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #28
New Boot

oh that makes sense. so if I have a object lit with 1k light and I want the same exposure for f2 lens I need to add another 1k light?

if I shoot on a bright summer day then it probably won't matter right?? since you still have to stop down in camera anyway..
Thanks
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #29
Major Player

To a degree that depends on the light sensitivity of your camera and the amount of light lost in the adapter. But yeah, on a sunny day you will probably have to use a neutral density filter and/or iris down.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM   #30
New Boot

Best starter lens choice

Hey All,

I don't currently have any 35mm lenses. What would you recommend as a good first lens? I would prefer an internal focus lens, as I have a Formatt FM-500 Matte Box that I would like to keep using.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Brett
Brett A. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods