Lenses for M35 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM   #31
Regular Crew

start with 50mm

Nikon has a $99 50mm f1.8

Then u can get a zoom... 70-300mm f4 around $130

then u can come down to a 12-24mm
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #32
New Boot

maybe this should be a sepparate question but I think it's still pretty relavant to this discussion. :)

how shallow DOF would you get from 35mm lens attached to micro35 compared to 50 or 75??

Thanks
Michal Spimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #33
Major Player

I will be happy to sell you a Nikon 50mm f.1.4 lens I just picked up from eBay - I haven't even unwrapped it and I decided to go the Lomo route.

Let me know if you're interested! I will sell at the same price I paid for it which is around $75

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Michal, go to http://www.dudak.baka.com/dofcalc.html and plug in the lens you want along with the F-stop and subject distance, hit "Calculate Depth of Field". It will answer all your questions.
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #35
Major Player

Larry - I want to ask you a little more on your lomo lenses. First, what focal lengths did you get (I assume from your posts they are all primes), and how did you mount them to the micro35 - did you convert to PL mount, or did you somehow get an OCT-19 mount kit?

I ask because I have accumulated at 18mm, 50mm and 80mm, and I'm wondering about something like a 200mm. The mount converters to PL seem really expensive (almost as much as the lenses themselves)

Thanks

Brian
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Brian, I have a set of F1.4 lenses: 18mm, 22mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm. I have some others in some of the same focal lengths that are slower than F1.4. And a couple of longer lenses including a 100mm and 150mm and a 10mm, as well.

I took the OCT-19 mount off one of my Konvas cameras and sent it to James. He is working on providing the OCT-19 mount, so you shouldn't have to scuttle a camera like I did.
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #37
Major Player

Larry - blazing the trail for the rest of us! Good to hear about the OCT-19 mount since the PL adapter is $$.

I could not find any 1.4 primes. best I could find is 2.5 or so, so I guess the money I save on the lenses will have to go to the lighting kit!

Cheers

Brian
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Will this work?

I have a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1:1.4 MF lens that was given to me. Will that work in James nikon setup. And is it a decent enough lens?
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #39
Major Player

I think the answer is yes to all the above. obviously it's a prime lens, so you may need other focal lengths at some point (see previous post)
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I was happy that I was given a prime. I know that in the long run it would probably catch a lot of the work I hope to do.

What other focal lengths do I need?

Thought about eventually purchasing a zoom lens of some sort.

What other lenses come in handy? I'd imagine something smaller (35, 28, etc) to achieve the more shallow DOF.

thanks for the imput
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #41
Major Player

as per above:

start with 50mm

Nikon has a $99 50mm f1.8

Then u can get a zoom... 70-300mm f4 around $130

then u can come down to a 12-24mm

Shallow DOF is a bit of an art - there is a post somewhere around here about the DOF calculator online.

Generally, the longer the focal length, the shorter the DOF (okay okay, it has a lot more variables, but it's a place to start).

Take a look at the sample footage James put up on micro35.com - he points out the focal lengths he is using in the movies.
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #42
Regular Crew

yeah still trying to read up in the DOF stuff....rather confusing...but I'm only just beginning. Don't actually have a camera yet. Waiting to hear about James adapter and how it performs with a variety of cameras before I purchase.
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #43
Major Player

Andrew - you should consider investing in a guide written by Barry Green over at DVXUser.com

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=12272

Although it's specific to DVX100 it is a great book/DVD for explaining a lot of DV stuff you should know.

here's the info on the DOF calculator:

Michal, go to http://www.dudak.baka.com/dofcalc.html and plug in the lens you want along with the F-stop and subject distance, hit "Calculate Depth of Field". It will answer all your questions.

Old April 5th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Another question that applies

With James' adapter and nikon lenses...are there any particular series of lenses that it's designed specifically for...or any series it WON'T work with? Are there other adapters/stepdown rings etc that allow any nikon lens to work?
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #45
Major Player

Start learning now

One fun, direct way to learn all this stuff---how to use fixed-focal-length lenses, manipulating DoF &c---is to shoot stills. Nothing will teach you this stuff faster.
John Sandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods