DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Lenses for M35 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/40725-lenses-m35.html)

Michal Spimr March 8th, 2005 04:31 PM

Lenses for M35

Is there a definite advantage. I would imagine even though with this micro35 device the picture might have some noise to it, but a good glass could at least help on reducing the lens image noise. I'm looking into buying a lens for homemade mini35 and trying to find out what best/$$$ next to high-speed prime lenses.

Michal

Larry McKee March 9th, 2005 09:12 AM

Michal, the problem with SLR lenses is they a not very fast. Sure, you can find 50mm 1.4 lenses all day long. But, what about 35mm, 24mm, or just about anything else? SLR lenses are made for cameras that change their shutter speed to adjust to the lens aperture. On video cameras, the shutter speed choices are very limited. In a device like the Micro35, you can expect to loose about 2 f-stops of light. So, the speed of the lens can be very important.

Prime lenses for motion picture cameras are very high quality. After all, the images they capture are projected on 40' screens. They are generally faster than the lenses made for SLRs. In the F2.0 to 2.8 range. Of course, there are the super speeds down in the 1.4 range, with some even lower.

The biggest issue with these is the price tag running in the same range as a late model Buick. At least that used to be the story. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, we have been able to gain access to one of the best kept secrets in the motion picture industry.

The Soviet lenses are world class. The Lomo cine lenses were made in the same plant where the lenses for the USSR's spy satellites were built. The Russians took the PL mount and made it bigger and called it the OCT-19 mount. The other cool part is the price. You can get a prime for about a hundred bucks. The high speed primes are only a few hundred bucks. At those prices, there is really no reason to go the SLR lens route.

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 10:58 AM

Thank you Larry for such a comprehensive answer. I knew about lomo cameras that are even nowadays very popular because of their surreal picture quality you can get out of them. However in my search I did not come across OCT-19 lenses. Surely those are the rather unique lenses than something that is still manufactured today, I guess. From my google and ebay search they seem to be pretty hard to come across. If you know of any place that might still resell them pls post it here since I'm sure many would benefit from it.

Btw from my russian tech experience is whatever they made was made to survive human kind.lol

Aaron Shaw March 9th, 2005 11:47 AM

35mm still lenses should work perfectly well. They are plenty sharp and are generally equally fast as a cinema lens (good 35mm lenses that is). There's not much of a difference in that regard.

Where you would probably see an improvement is in contrast. Then again, a modern Nikon or Canon lens is damn good - so I doubt this as well.

Th real downside to SLR lenses are:

1) No gears for a follow focus
2) A tendency to "breathe"

Larry McKee March 9th, 2005 11:55 AM

The Lomo still cameras and the cine lenses are two totally different balls of wax. The lenses are no longer being made to my knowledge.

I found most of mine on ebay. Just do a search for Konvas. That is the most popular camera the lenses fit. Rafcamera and sp314 are 2 of the most reputable sellers. Of course, there are others. I have also bought lenses directly from http://rafcamera.com/ Rafael is a great guy. Very honest and keen on customer relations. If you contact him directly, tell him I sent you. Another layer of accountability is always a good thing, but I sincerely doubt you will need it with him.

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 02:02 PM

Great resource, Larry, what an affordable way of getting high-speed primes. =) Cheers Up. I see some of them are f1.3 so it shouldn't be that hard to light for them. Do you have experience or sample footage you shot with them? Would love to see how they perform on mini35. What kind of setup do you have using these lenses?

Larry McKee March 9th, 2005 10:32 PM

Michal, I use them on my Konvas cameras. The first time I sent film shot in one of those cameras to the lab, the colorist kept commenting about the image sharpness and beautiful color. She was surprised to find the footage was shot on a Russian camera bought on ebay.

Hopefully there will be some screen caps and/or clips posted this week from the scene we shot with the Micro35.

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 10:57 PM

What 1/3" CCD camera did you guys shoot with? I checked out your website and you guys seem pretty busy working. Anything you have shot previously with DVX/micro35 setup??

M.

Larry McKee March 9th, 2005 11:16 PM

Michal, I picked up the Micro35 from James on the way to shoot the last scene for The Ancient. Other than a test since then, that's all I have shot with it.

"What 1/3" CCD camera did you guys shoot with?"

The only 1/3" CCD camera I own is the DVX100A.

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 11:22 PM

lol good answer ;) for some reason I saw on the production still your dvx/micro35 setup so I thought you guys have been using it for a while. Any idea when the manuals will be available. It's real torture to wait for it. lol

James Hurd March 9th, 2005 11:28 PM

Michal,
They're going out next week.

Thanks for your patience! It's certainly worth the wait!

James

www.micro35.com

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 11:36 PM

GREAT TO HEAR THAT.. hehe.. I'm making my order. I have spotted somewhere you're getting your assembly line going. How much of that rumor is true?? and what would be the price tag per item ( in hundreds I guess)..

BTW are you gonna be able to offer any tech support via email or maybe you could setup private board for those who purchase the manual, where we could discuss any development issues.

Thanks

James Hurd March 9th, 2005 11:40 PM

Michal,
You're right. I'm offering a package where we'll assemble the adapters for you. We also include the rod system and macro.

All this for $500.

Keep checking the website for details!

James

www.micro35.com

Michal Spimr March 9th, 2005 11:53 PM

I believe there is going to be delay on the Kit Parts unit? when do you expect to be shipping those?

James Hurd March 9th, 2005 11:57 PM

Michal,
The way I'm setting up the assembly and kits, it will allow me to build many at a time without delays.

Email me and I can give you more details...

james

www.micro35.com