DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Why is Micro35 not free ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/41515-why-micro35-not-free.html)

Agus Casse March 20th, 2005 11:43 PM

Why is Micro35 not free ?

Hello guys,

i know i have been out for a while from the agus35 proyect, but i have to confess that it is because my work have been terrible hard in the last year.

I usually come and check on the website, and i notice that the micro35 is really similar to the agus35, in its internal system and even in look the same as the prototype that i wanted to build as a commercial version.

Now i ask.... why it will cost money to get the instruction manual ? wasnt this a proyect for all us to make it together and free ?

I share all my ideas to everybody in this forum for free, because i thought that a real comunity of friends would do the same.

Hope this guy become free.

I will come back to the proyect of the Agu35, as soon as i get a little less work, even if i had to spend money and extra hours to come with a completly new system.

See ya laters guys. and hope you all keep on working in this devices.

Daniel Skubal March 20th, 2005 11:52 PM

I'm glad to see you're back! You're one of the first people to really push for a system like this.

In his defense: James has spent quite a bit of money developing his kit and honestly, I don't mind paying at all. If it will give me exact instructions on how to build this thing with little or no variation from his model.

Getting really good results with standardized parts is worth the 45$ to me. It's worth every cent. Don't you agree?

Will Robertson March 21st, 2005 12:04 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Skubal : Getting really good results with standardized parts is worth the 45$ to me. It's worth every cent. Don't you agree? -->>>

Yes, that is of course if I ever actually receive my guide.

Luis Caffesse March 21st, 2005 07:21 AM

"i notice that the micro35 is really similar to the agus35, in its internal system and even in look the same as the prototype that i wanted to build as a commercial version"

Is this true?
I would be interested to hear from James on this.

James Hurd March 21st, 2005 08:12 AM

Hey Guys,
I'm writing from an internet terminal in Costa Rica, so please forgive my slow responses. (I'll be back on Thurs.)

To answer your question Agus, the moving gg was the easy part. Researching all the parts, finding the cheapest source, and making the quality good enough and robust enough to use on a set is what you're paying for. I'd say that's about a year and a half worth of work and three months of reading tangled forums that I'm saving everyone. Of course you get all the drawings that I 3-D modeled that will make it even easier.

This isn't a CD Spindle Case with a spining blank disk. (which cost me much more btw..) This is soo much more. And from my experience so far, most people don't want to build any type of device. They just want to have the tools to shoot their project. And the micro35 gives them that and more.

Thanks for the comments Agus! Glad to have you around!

james
www.micro35.com

Imran Zaidi March 21st, 2005 08:20 AM

Also, commerce makes the world go round.

When something is paid for, it gets done, and gets done well enough so the seller can be held accountable by the buyer. As a consumer, that's all I want - to get a specific product that a seller stands behind. It's hard to do that in an open source community.

The fact is, we all know basically how the big expensive mini35 works. But whoever makes a nice, usable, well put together, and not hammered together, package that gets me somewhat close to a mini35 gets my money.

Luis Caffesse March 21st, 2005 08:28 AM

"I'd say that's about a year and a half worth of work and three months of reading tangled forums that I'm saving everyone. Of course you get all the drawings that I 3-D modeled that will make it even easier."

James,

Thanks for responding, and for your clear and concise answer. It would have been pretty easy to either ignore this thread or sidestep the issues that were brought up. I for one found your response to be more than fair enough and completely justified.

Craig Bellaire March 21st, 2005 12:37 PM

Manual

And as soon and James starts to ship the manuals, “which are 2 months late” than I'll buy one... Other wise my baby needs diapers and 45 dollars will buy hhhmmm 380 diapers or a bunch of quiet…