DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Difference Mini35 and Micro35? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/42413-difference-mini35-micro35.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere April 4th, 2005 04:57 PM

Difference Mini35 and Micro35?

Hey,

I'm following this forum a little bit, from time to time, and I'm wondering what's now the big difference between the Mini35 and the Micro35, because the price difference seems to be huuuuge.
When I read this for the first time I thought: aren't all the owners of a mini 35 adaptor pissed of because now there is a much much cheaper solution? But that kept me asking: maybe there is a difference...?

Thank you for any feedback,

Cody Dulock April 4th, 2005 08:19 PM

there is a difference. the image is recorded backwards since thats how its projected onto the ground glass. Thus, you have to rotate it 180 in post. its a different design and the same concept from what i understand.

Radek Svoboda April 5th, 2005 08:03 AM

Is image also upside down?

Cody Dulock April 5th, 2005 12:08 PM

yes... the P+S mini35 uses prisms in there device and lose more stops of light that way... so i assume without the use of prisms that you wont lose as many stops of light with the micro35, but you have to compensate for the flipped image.

Mathieu Ghekiere April 7th, 2005 08:26 AM

But if you can just turn the image in post... is that upside down image not a very small thing to look over if you look at the price difference? I know it maybe isn't very comfortable to frame, but if you have a monitor and set it upside down :-)...

Luis Caffesse April 7th, 2005 09:20 AM

"But if you can just turn the image in post... is that upside down image not a very small thing to look over if you look at the price difference? I know it maybe isn't very comfortable to frame, but if you have a monitor and set it upside down :-)..."

I don't know about most people, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable keeping my production monitor upside down all day on set. I suppose you could get a secondary LCD screen, and mount that upside down on your camera, that might be a useable solution.

Granted, flipping an image in post isn't that big of a deal (although I don't like the idea of having to take the time to do that to all of the raw footage....

But I think on set that is a huge problem. Sure, it wouldn't be that big of a problem for static shots... but what if you're doing a camera move? Try tilting and panning while looking at an upside down image...or doing a dolly move...or even handheld. Any camera movement would be much more difficult if you don't have a proper reference.

So far, of everything I've heard here, a secondary LCD seems like the best idea. An upside down monitor on set might work...but you want the cameraman to be able to keep an eye on the framing without having to look over at the monitor.

Mathieu Ghekiere April 7th, 2005 09:45 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. Still think it's worth the price difference though ;-) Héhé

Daniel Skubal April 7th, 2005 10:11 AM

Flip the camera upside down. haha... make a special pan and tilt head for it, so it suspends it upside down.

Ryan Hamblin April 7th, 2005 01:09 PM

magnets

a small magnet in the right spot might just help you a little...