DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   micro35 - how easy to switch to different 35mm lens systems? Just a plate? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/42780-micro35-how-easy-switch-different-35mm-lens-systems-just-plate.html)

Mark Kubat April 11th, 2005 07:29 AM

micro35 - how easy to switch to different 35mm lens systems? Just a plate?

Hi James, et al.

I'm thinking that I'd most definitely be sticking with Nikon mount for my micro35 when it becomes available... but I can't help but be intrigued by the possibility of being able to use an entire arsenal of 35mm lenses as they might become avail to me through various photographer friends, garage sales *ha ha* etc...

Given that camera (Sony HDV) remains constant, would it be possible to order ONE micro 35 complete system but also order accessory "plates" with the housings for different lens systems so I could use same micro 35 with say Canon lens one day and then Nikon or whatever the next day? I'd assume the only critical factor that would need adjusting would be distance from 35mm lens mount to gg for proper focus on the gg... that would be fairly adjustable/customizable?

Or does the design dictate that you'd have to buy 2 entirely separate micro35's to use 2 systems, say Nikon and Canon?

Sorry if this has been covered already... thanks!

Mark

James Hurd April 11th, 2005 07:47 AM

Mark,
You'll easily be able to switch out the lens system. We'll have the different lens mounts available individually. Four user accessible screws hold the mounts.

Thanks Mark,

James
www.micro35.com

Guest April 11th, 2005 12:49 PM

can you set it up with and arri mount. I have access to the following lenses at a good price (used of course) would you suggest going this route? HEre are the lenses:

Cooke 17.5mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Cooke 25mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Kilar 40mm T2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Schneider 11.5mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Schneider 25mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Schneider 28mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Schneider 35mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Cooke 50mm T 2 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Cooke 75mm T 2.8 Arri standard mount $245.00 CDN

Century 385mm T 4.5 Arri standard mount $350.00 CDN

Larry McKee April 11th, 2005 09:22 PM

Those are good prices. If for some reason the standard Arri mount is not available on the Micro35, the PL mount will be. There are adapters listed from time to time on ebay that will adapt an Arri standard mount lens to PL.

Brian Valente April 12th, 2005 01:56 PM

Those ARE good prices - where can I get some?!

Dave Frank April 12th, 2005 08:02 PM

Those sound like 16mm lenses, not 35mm.

Brian Valente April 12th, 2005 10:26 PM

Well, I did some fishing (god bless the internet) - I found a 35mm Cooke T2 for $250 US, and it is S16mm format, so that would seem to support what dave says:

http://www.jimon.com/jimon_cameras/lenses/lenses.html

John Sandel April 12th, 2005 10:34 PM

Are 35mm-format lenses preferable? If so, why?

Dave Frank April 12th, 2005 11:17 PM

Because if you put a 16mm lens in front of a micro/mini35, you would have a big black space around a circular image. I believe that's what it would look like.

John Sandel April 12th, 2005 11:29 PM

Then I don't understand well enough how the lightpath moves through this or similar gadgets.

I understand that a 16mm-format lens will project a smaller circle of light when mounted at the same distance from the image plane as a 35mm-format lens, but what's to stop me from zooming in tighter with the video camera's lens, so as to fill the video frame with the image on the ground-glass?

Is there some limit of resolution in the ground-glass which recommends against this? What am I missing here?

Guest April 13th, 2005 06:27 AM

you guys may be right. the prices are way too nice. i'll call the guy and find out if theyre 16 or 35mil lenses.

Mark Kubat April 15th, 2005 08:58 PM

John, I'm guessing optics....

John, I suspect "optics" would be the limiting factor - ie. you'd need more "macro" on the vidcamera to be able to get in "tighter" to do the 16mm framesize justice - with existing micro35 calibrated for 35mm framesize, you wouldn't be able to get in tight enough to eliminate severe vignetting...

do you have a DVX? Try to zoom in and focus for macro - you'll see you can't - macro only works when you pull back a bit on the zoom - you can't zoom in all the way and do macro together. Hence the need for achromatics, macro rings, etc... I think that's why everyone's adapter system for DVX is so "long" - you'd need to have even more macro extenders etc. to be able to get "down" to 16mm frame size...

Okay, one more beer and I'll come up with an even better explanation... hic...

Wesley Wong April 21st, 2005 11:55 AM

any follow focus for all those different lenses we will be using on the micro35 ??

Brian Valente April 21st, 2005 12:47 PM

Not sure I understand your question, but I'm sure the Micro35 is designed to allow for follow focus use - if you look at the sample pics they show a follow focus on it.