micro35 vs xl1 wide angle 3x lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario Corno
Just to add my 2 (euro) cents... I've seen yesterday 28 days later (ok, no , I won't open AGAIN that thread) and it is shoot all with a XL1 and no adapter at all.
Believe me looking at it on DVD doesn't mae a great difference, I believe being able to get the maximum from a digital camera leads to a GOOD footage, even with the "tricks".
On the other side I must admit that getting a shallow DoF even in some critical circumstances is quite usefull. Sometimes you don't have time-money-will ;) to setup the right lighting for a small DoF and an adapter can comes handy.

Just my 2 cents...
That's not quite correct. 28 Days Later was shot using a customed made Optex adapter, allowing it to use an assortment of film lenses.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Brian, you misunderstood my post (or maybe it was my terrible english!)
I am one who bought the book for first!
I want to have the tools you are talking about, I just want to say (as many of us already did) that the Micro35 o Mini35 is not the "magic bullet".
I bet it is possible to achieve good results also without them, but a little help and wider choices are always wellcome. :D
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #18
Major Player

Dario - I agree. This is a recurring theme that comes up in almost every forum on every topic from production through post. All of these things are only tools. Having great tools won't make a bad story good, but it can make a good story better
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Starnes
That's not quite correct. 28 Days Later was shot using a customed made Optex adapter, allowing it to use an assortment of film lenses.
My mistake, my sentence about lenses comes from the images seen on the DVD. I had the feeling they where all "custom" lenses, for example the 14 manual.
Sorry... :D
Dario Corno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM   #20
Major Player

Let me add one thing that is, to me, quite important.
Any 35mm adapter makes shooting much more difficult. Lighting becomes more critical, focusing becomes difficult, handeling the camera becomes difficult etc.
That is one great thing, because you get to think about what you are doing, in stead of shooting too easily.
This is especially a big advantage for beginning filmmakers.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM   #21
Major Player

oscar is definitely right!! using a 35mm adapter is no walk in the park. it takes practice and patience. They definitely are a great tool for digital camcorders and can help you learn the focusing of a real cinema rig. It does bring a challenge to the table, and i think thats what alot of us enjoy.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Oscar - From my perspective, instead of "difficult", shooting becomes more precise with the Micro35, and therefore does require additional skill, planning, etc. The point you're making has validity, but it's akin to saying "buying a porsche makes driving fast more difficult". I don't know of a shoot where lighting wasn't critical!

However, like any other tool, you don't have to start using everything at once and suddenly rack focus every shot. It could be as simple as just attaching lenses of varying focal lengths. True, you won't get auto-focus, but I imagine a lot of people reading these forums are likely past that and are looking to improve their toolset.
Brian Valente is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods