Micro35 Guide: Where to post questions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #16
Major Player

guides shipping - GREAT! How about full kits? Pre-assembled?

Hi everyone!

That's great - I'm really happy to see there's been a key milestone passed - felt like passing a kidney stone, James?

Ha ha! :)

I'm now wondering, ahem ahem, what the status is regarding pre-assembled units? Or kits? I'm eager to get a micro 35 asap and while I am handy, I'm wondering by the time I'd get my guide and source the parts, would it be faster to get a kit or a pre-assembled unit?

Also - the new website preview pics look great - wow, that's a way to stick to the mini35 guys with the XL1/2 pic - that makes me wonder - how has testing gone re: other cams especially say the new Sony HDV FX1-Z1U?

Thanks for all your hard work!

You (Red)Rock!!!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Dang Mark - will nothing satisfy you short of slappin' a Cooke s4 on the front of that DV rig of yours?! :-P
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Brian - you got your guide yet?

Maybe then you could build ME an adapter?

:)
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Major Player

wait... no. you build ME one! Seriously, for me personally I will probably read the guide, appreciate the huge effort and technological elegance, and then await my pre-assembled version. :-O
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #20
Major Player

So let me get this straight, is this product a do-it-yourself only product?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Nope - there are two separate products>

1) the guide (which just shipped) is the first product out, which explains how to DIY. I can't speak for micro35, but I believe they were meeting a very specific demand for such a guide

2) there is a fully functional micro35 product on the way, which promises to be an incredible product. It shares similar characteristics of the mini35 (which is around $7500) and has far superior technology than other designs (g35). AND it is priced lower than anything else out there.

The pics that are posted on micro35.com are representative of the product version.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #22
Major Player

What "ball park" range of a price are we talking about here for the complete unit?
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #23
Major Player

micro35 has publicly stated the introductory price of the micro35 product (not kit or DIY) to be around $500. That is truly revolutionary, considering it's a rotating gg. you should put your name into their site if you want to be notified when it's shipping.
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #24
Major Player

I'll do that, thanks!
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #25
New Boot

Yeh I think it would be good to share on here the experiences of building the micro. Any insight I can give please let me know. They are not too difficult to assemble to be honest, thank god for Mr. Hurd who put all the time into R&D. It can be frustrating piecing this bad boys together, and at times you will feel like there is no way this thing is going to work....but....it does.
Ryan Hamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hamblin
Yeh I think it would be good to share on here the experiences of building the micro. Any insight I can give please let me know. They are not too difficult to assemble to be honest, thank god for Mr. Hurd who put all the time into R&D. It can be frustrating piecing this bad boys together, and at times you will feel like there is no way this thing is going to work....but....it does.
Are you working for James? Are you happy so far with it? Has it exceeded expectations?
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #27
Trustee

Can someone fill me in more on this guide and the adapter? What does it offer and at what detail? I think it's amazing that James is doing an adapter and selling both the product and the guide itself.

What I'd like to know is this

1) Is there a price for the adapter yet?
2) Does the guide tell you everything, including specific parts and where to get them? Or is it more like - "get a macro lens".

I am VERY interested in an adapter in the near future so need to work out if a premade one or self built is the way to go.

Cheers
Aaron
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Aaron - you should visit www.micro35.com for additional details.

Here are what I understand to be the facts:

"Can someone fill me in more on this guide and the adapter?" - your best bet is to read these threads and visit the site

"What does it offer and at what detail?" - not sure what you mean here

"1) Is there a price for the adapter yet?" - James has quoted an introductory price of $500 for the micro35, and $45 for the guide (which is now shipping).

"2) Does the guide tell you everything, including specific parts and where to get them? Or is it more like - "get a macro lens"."

I don't know (since I'm waiting for my guide to show up), but I would venture to guess it's pretty specific, and it includes the ground glass, which should make the quality of a DIY a zillion times better than if you took a shot at building it without the gg.

Cheers
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #29
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Skubal
Are you working for James? Are you happy so far with it? Has it exceeded expectations?
Umm yes I am a rep for him at the moment, so if there is anything I can do to take the heat off James for the moment let me do so. I can say that he is working extremely hard to get everything perfect for you guys. Am I happy with it so far, in a word YES. It really exceeds my expectations. To me it looks a lot more crisp than that of the P+S technic mini35, and I am working with a prototype at the moment. So yes it has far exceeded my expectations. My dp after reviewing some of the footage that was shot on this last music video and some test stuf shot around the house thought that is looked identical to 16 mm without all the grain. Some of that footage should be up on the micro35 site soon www.micro35.com, as well as some screen grabs.

Take care, (r)yan
Ryan Hamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hamblin
Umm yes I am a rep for him at the moment, so if there is anything I can do to take the heat off James for the moment let me do so. I can say that he is working extremely hard to get everything perfect for you guys. Am I happy with it so far, in a word YES. It really exceeds my expectations. To me it looks a lot more crisp than that of the P+S technic mini35, and I am working with a prototype at the moment. So yes it has far exceeded my expectations. My dp after reviewing some of the footage that was shot on this last music video and some test stuf shot around the house thought that is looked identical to 16 mm without all the grain. Some of that footage should be up on the micro35 site soon www.micro35.com, as well as some screen grabs.

Take care, (r)yan
You da' man!

haha Thanks for the info!

Is there color bleeding on the edges of high contrast areas, like the The Ancient samples? I'm assuming that was due to low-light/high contrast and won't be present every time.

As far as the package, is it 45$(for parts) to make the adapter alone, or is it for the adapter, rails and macro?

Is there an estimated time of arrival for the guides? I'm assuming tuesday or wednesday?
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods