New footage/pic - first in a while at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Major Player

New footage/pic - first in a while

Ok, here is a new still from my recent foray back into the game. The still sucks, but this is without any achromatic, just the camera in really close and the Mylar GG. Lots of blurriness, so that is no good. Still trying away at it. I think the hotspot is causing alot of problems, so a condenser is probably going to be necessary. But funnily enough, the pics with the MACRO are better than without anything!

http://dvstuff.250free.com
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
this is without any achromatic, just the camera in really close and the Mylar GG. Lots of blurriness, so that is no good. Still trying away at it. I think the hotspot is causing alot of problems, so a condenser is probably going to be necessary. But funnily enough, the pics with the MACRO are better than without anything!

You should definately move the GG further away from the camera lens. That should help with your edge to edge sharpness issues.

Jonathan Houser
www.guerilla35.com
Jonathan Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Bob Hart

Mandy.

Have a look at www.dvinfo.net/media/hart at the filenames "cdstrer2.JPG" and "cdstrer3.JPG" which are near the bottom of the file list. These were shot on a disk made from a split DVD+R disk. You get a very thin clear disk which runs true but make sure you don't use a solvent glue or contact cement to fix it to the hub else it will bend when the glue shrinks and run out.

The DVD disks must be made of harder stuff than CD-Rs or spacer disks because they are a mongrel to get a finish onto. They take longer than my glass disks. The method is to use a light pressure in a watery slurry. My slurry, though it was 300 grade AO was buffered somewhat by there being some fine brass particles which wore from the platen I had the disk mounted onto.

They also have the same problem of inconsistent finish around the entire disk once you get fingerprints on them or let them brush against something.

Also on top of the file list is a filename "0038b.JPG" which is the very last shot taken through my finely finished and backpolished oharadisk before the AGUS came apart and fell off the front of the camera in the warm sun which softened the glue.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Bob, you are truly a pioneer in this field. You never stop, which is awesome! Those images looked really good. I need a good GG! I guess James Hurd's GG is supposed to be good, but I haven't seen any recent footage.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Bought a new lens, but found out it has a couple of small black dust marks in it - and I mean literary in it! I don't know how to get rid of these! It is a canon 50mm f1.8, but unusable until I get out these dust spots. Any ideas?
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Bob Hart

Have you actually mounted it to the Agus and tried it yet. At f1.8 I don't think you will see much of the dust in the image but then again I could be wrong. If they don't affect the image, my personal preference is to leave a working lens well alone.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, I got the Canon EOS 750 with the lens (actually the other way around) and when using it with the Canon EOS, I can see the dust spots, so I figured I would see it in the DOF machine/Agus - but I will try and see. I didn't know if there was a quick fix or something.
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Are you sure it's not dust on the GG or the mirror of the Canon EOS 750?
Check if you see the dust without the lens.

There is no quick fix, but you can take a lens apart by unscrewing everything until you get to the lens with the dust. Sometimes there are tiny screws on the side of a lens, maybe under the rubber grip rings. The lenses themselves have (most of the times) a small ring (that holds the lens) with two small gaps. You can try to unscrew these with a something like a small screwdriver in one gap, but you can scratch the lens terribly if you slip. Normally you have to have some kind of special tool for this.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok,

New pics again for the camera. This time they are pretty good, but you can see the mount for the CD in it. Also the light loss is pretty bad. I think a new GG is going to be needed - maybe the one that James Hurd has been talking about, if I can order just that. Still some blurriness, but not as much and it could be the GG and the light loss as well as the hotspot causing all of the above problems. Any ideas?

Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods