-8mm viewer GG and Rolleicord- at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

-8mm viewer GG and Rolleicord-

Some people know me from my 35mm with two DV camera's, if not, never mind, it works well with a rotating ground glass.

I have something on my mind what I'd like to try to build, but I want to discuss it first.
I have a very good (old) medium-format Rolleicord (with two lenses) which I want to use for a DOF adapter, but in a way that I can take it off and still use it for photography. It similar to this one: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/camera_collection/image1101.jpg
I want to use it because it gives great DOF I want a second adapter that is smaler that the one I built. I also think it will be suited for a static GG because the big size of the image (60 x 60 mm) and you can still use the focusing screen on top of the Rollei.

The first thing I'm curious about is the GG from a 8mm or super 8 viewer. Has anyone tried this yet? I think the higher quality ones have a build-in Fresnel. I'm referring to such a viewer:
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/...iewers/aaa.jpg
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think it be good enough. I used it in school. The whole screen may give clear DV level resolution. 6x6 will give fraction of that.
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I should have said: static GG, but oscillating or vibrating GG if it's necessary.
Radek, you're probably right. The reason I mention it is because I saw one at a bazaar today and I couldn't see the grain. I don't know if I should buy it, although it's just 12 euros.

EDIT:

OK, I made a drawing to show how simple the setup could be.
http://doublecam.250free.com/DVrollei.JPG
You just open the back cover (of the Rollei) where you normally load the film and put it to the GG. Than open the camera shutter.

Another big advantage of such a MF camera is it's focusing system on the side which very much resembles a follow focus.

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; May 10th, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #4
Major Player

I;'ve got one of those 8mm editing machine too Oscar, I am interested to see what happens with your. I wish I could pick up cameras like you can!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
I wish I could pick up cameras like you can!
And if you could, ...you'd wish you could come to US with a green card.....
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Major Player

US? You two are Canadians. It's all a misunderstanding. The viewer was 12 euros. Don't think you can find a Rollei for such a price here....I got it for free. Two cheaper ones (Lubitel) for 3 euros each. Never paid more than 10 euros for a camera. If I could only find that lens Dan was talking about on his thread. I want to find it in a bazaar with a label: "doorbell - 5 euros."
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Ha ha! Oscar, that is really funny - it does look like one, doesn't it?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #8
Major Player

He Leo, How well do you think your 8mm viewer GG would be in oscillating movement? Is it worth buying one to test it?
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Major Player

IF you can get one cheap enough, this one was $10.00 at the time so I thought I would get it. But when I first got it, it was to edit 8mm film, but now it just sits gathering dust, so if I had an oscillating mechanism, it might come in handy!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods