DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   When do we see a camera with the Foveon chip? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/45204-when-do-we-see-camera-foveon-chip.html)

Carl Merritt May 25th, 2005 07:28 PM

When do we see a camera with the Foveon chip?

http://www.foveon.com/gallery.php

Unbelieveable images!

Dan Diaconu May 25th, 2005 07:38 PM

I can hardly wait.

Keith Wakeham May 25th, 2005 08:06 PM

current foveon chips cannot handle the frame rate but they are coming out with one that will in a while - don't know exactly when, but hopefully sooner than latter

Obin Olson May 25th, 2005 09:42 PM

FOveon is coming...and I can't wait! it's going to be the best chip you have ever seen....I don't have a release date but it is on the table for D-Cinema applications...I will look at it when the time comes...first things firstm gotta get the ALtasens going!!

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn May 25th, 2005 11:50 PM

Hahahaha.Those images don't proove anything about its quality.
Take an image with any 10MP camera, then resize it to the same resolution the images from the website have , add a lot of sharpening to them (if you zoom them you will see lots of dark and white halos around edges which means lots of sharpening) plus some creative/artistic color correction and ready, you'll get the same quality!!!!

BTW, if nobody knows it , although Foveon 3X has the 3 photosites for every pixel position, their chips still require some kind of interpolation(?)/correction.
So don't expect them to spit images like a three sensor system!!!

Anyway if they could come out with a high frame rate chip with global shutter instead of the actual rolling it uses it would be the best replacement for film. :)

Wayne Morellini May 26th, 2005 12:36 AM

If anybody, really, wants one of these cameras, Kodak has one for around $399, that will do 30fps VGA, and that is about the limit of the chip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
current foveon chips cannot handle the frame rate but they are coming out with one that will in a while - don't know exactly when, but hopefully sooner than latter

Any details about this chip, I haven't been able to discern anything?

Keith Wakeham May 26th, 2005 06:54 AM

The new foveon one - nothing more than what you just read here unfortunately

Obin Olson May 26th, 2005 08:01 AM

Don't make fun of Foveon so fast - it's the only chip in the world with pixel perfect images.

if you want take a look at the Foveon site and you will see full resolution images

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn May 26th, 2005 10:47 AM

hahahaha (again) :D

PS: Re-read my post above please....

Obin Olson May 26th, 2005 12:03 PM

ok ok ok... I RE-READ IT! :)

how many more times do I need to do that? my eye is getting tired lol

Carl Merritt May 26th, 2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn
BTW, if nobody knows it , although Foveon 3X has the 3 photosites for every pixel position, their chips still require some kind of interpolation(?)/correction.
So don't expect them to spit images like a three sensor system!!!

Apparently they don't use interpolation since they get full color information from every pixel position.
Supposedly, because of that, the resolution appears to be 3x what we expect to see from a similarly sized 3-sensor system. (3MP)
Which is apparently what they do to say it's a 10mp camera, but one needn't interpolate, do you?

I so hope they can get something at 3MP at 24fps - like us all I'm sure! :D

Jason Rodriguez May 27th, 2005 11:29 AM

Juan's right,

There is some interpolation that has to happen with a Foveon chip becuase the color cross-talk is so great. It's not the same results that you'd get from a 3CCD system, since there is some guessing going on based on the way the chip is assumed to respond to the different wavelenghts of light to determine just how much of the light that reaches each of the color plane depths is actually suppose to be red, green, or blue.