DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Micro35 on sale today (June 2nd)!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/45536-micro35-sale-today-june-2nd.html)

Gabor Lacza June 1st, 2005 12:37 PM

Micro35MM adapter for under $500

Anybody saw this adapter already ????

http://www.redrockmicro.com
http://www.redrockmicro.com/micro35_hd.htm

Gabor

Dominic Jones June 1st, 2005 06:06 PM

Micro35 on sale today (June 2nd)!!!

Just read the new Micro35 newsletter, and apparently it'll be on sale, pre-built, some at point today for a mere $500!!

Mmmm....!!! :)

Will have a 4-6 week lead-in period, but that's still great news - congratulations James/Brian et al - can't wait to get my hands on one!

Brian Valente June 1st, 2005 07:15 PM

here's all the details in our newsletter:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/newslett...ter_may_05.htm

Brian

Alex Raskin June 1st, 2005 07:53 PM

Manufacturer's web site says it's not in stock, and they are past due on the planned re-stocking date.

How do you know it's under $500? I could not find any pricing info.

Dan Diaconu June 1st, 2005 08:58 PM

Brian,
Just of curiosity; how come the "guide" (@US $45) was supposed to make the whole adapter buildable for another $45 (all parts) while in your latest newsletter, only an SLR lens mount goes for $US 75? Where were those customers of yours (purchasing the guide) supposed to find all parts INCLUDING the SLR mount at US$45? Would you recomend I should purchase the guide to find out the inexpensive "source" for the SLR mounts (as the guide has promised)? I am not interested in anything else from the guide but the source for SLR mounts.

Brian Valente June 1st, 2005 09:02 PM

for....?

Not sure your question Dan, but that was indeed the purpose of the guide - to enable someone to build a micro35 for as cheaply as possible.

The production version is not an assembled DIY kit - it is a professionally manufactured unit with custom-designed, machined parts. It shares only the basic design of the DIY version.

I hope I'm answering the right question, but let me know

Brian

Dan Diaconu June 1st, 2005 09:06 PM

Sorry for the first incomplete post, I hit the wrong key here and got posted

Shawn Murphy June 2nd, 2005 02:05 AM

I received the following email from REDROCK MICRO today:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/newslett...ter_may_05.htm

Hi everyone - thanks for joining us on this wild ride to get the
micro35 out to the world. Without further delays, let's get to the news you are most interested in.

We are taking orders starting June 2nd We are finishing up our ordering process and ramping production to meet the demand for the micro35. You will be able to order directly from the redrock.com website by clicking the "Purchase" menu tab.

It is important to note that during this initial ramp up there is a
4-6 week lead time between when you order and when your order is shipped. By using this"build to order" approach, we can keep the cost of the micro35 as low as possible while still delivering you a high quality product. We realize this is a long time, and we expect to beat this timeframe. Once we are fully stocked (July) we will be shipping immediately. For now you should consider this lead time when planning your productions.

Getting ready for the micro35 We want everyone to know the options available for the micro35 so you when you place your order you will feel informed and ready. Here are some answers to your questions and some additional information for you:

The introductory price of the micro35 Cinema Lens Adapter is $500.
This price is only for the micro35 adapter and a high powered achromatic. You will need to also purchase at least one lens mount.
SLR lens mounts range from $75 (Nikon, Pentax, Canon), to $105 (Canon EOS), to $150 (Pentax screwmount, which actually requires two lens mounts, hence the price). Cinema lens mounts (PL and OCT-19) are more expensive because they require hand machining. You will also need a standard 15mm rod support system. We offer a high quality precision-machined 15mm rod support system for the introductory price of $350. This rod support system includes 1 pair 18" hollow rods, base plate, adjustable rod mounting plate, clamp, and adjustment knobs. You may be able to use your existing 15mm rod system (if you have a matte box, etc.), thought we truly believe the Redrock rod support system is the best quality and value. Also, it has several adjustments you will find extremely convenient to fit the micro35 to your camera.
There are also a number of other options and accessories available:
AC adapter, a pair of just the rods, replacement ground glass, etc.
There is of course micro35 shwag - hats, patches, and t-shirts.
Bundle deals get a free hat. We will be accepting domestic (US) and international orders - shipping cost and tax (if any) is calculated and added during the check-out process. We use the PayPal shopping cart and payment system. You do not have to be a paypal member to use this system. You can pay via credit card, electronic check, and PayPal. We are also offering two bundles to simplify ordering for you (see below). micro35 Indie Bundle and micro35 Digital Cinematographer's Bundle

We have developed two bundles to make ordering "everything you need"
as simple as possible. They are designed to give you everything they need at a discounted bundle price. If neither of the bundles work for you, that's okay too. You can configure your own at the Redrock.com website.

Micro35 Indie Bundle $850 - is for filmmakers who want to use SLR lenses with the micro35. It includes the micro35 adapter, 15mm rod support system, choice of SLR lens mount, and a micro35 cap.

Micro35 Digital Cinematographer's Bundle $1,275 - is for filmmakers who want to use cinema lenses (PL or OCT-19). This complete includes the micro35 adapter, 15mm rod support system, choice of cinema lens mount, hard shell case, AC adapter and a micro35 cap. These bundles will take longer to deliver, as the cinema lens mounts are more difficult to manufacture, and therefore take longer. OCT-19 mount (for lomo lenses) will be available in July, but we are accepting a small number of orders for the initial batch.

Additional third party offers available via Redrock

In addition to Redrock products, we have also formed relationships with other vendors that will benefit Redrock customers. First relationship is with EVS Online. These excellent folks have agreed to extend a discount for anyone who orders from them and mentions the
"micro35 online forum discount". These discounts can add up. We also scoped some good options for on-camera LCD monitors (that do the
"flip") and other add-ons you may want or need..

Second, we have found a great resource in step-up and step-down adapter rings at www.adapterrings.com {http://www.adapterrings.com}.
The micro35 needs a camera with a threaded 72mm lens diameter. If your lens is a different size, these folks provide a great product, and their catalog is a breeze to use.

"Thank You"s for micro35 DIY Guide Owners

We are incredibly proud of and grateful to the early DIY group who cut their teeth, broke their lathe, and risked their personal relationships all in the name of the DIY micro35 adapter! As our thanks to you, we are giving DIY Guide owners two bonuses:

We will deduct the full price of your DIY Guide ($45) from your purchase the micro35 Cinema Lens adapter. We will also make the 15mm Rod Support System available to DIY Guide owners at the discounted price of $300. If you choose to go with the Indie bundle, we will deduct $85 from your order.

To take advantage of the DIY discount

you must have already purchased your DIY Guide prior to June 2 you MUST put "DIY Guide Discount" and your DIY guide forum username in the other instructions field of your order. Unfortunately PayPal shopping cart (the system we use) does not allow us to immediately give you the discount, so we will use a process whereby we refund the discount amount to you once we receive your order. We are working on a better way for this. Featured micro35 User: Brett A. Noe

Brett Noe is one of the first DIYers to complete his rig. Like many others, he has generously shared details of his experience, offered suggestions, and posted results. Brett continues to provide feedback, encouragement, and sample footage for others as he fine-tunes his DIY
micro35 adapter.

"I think it turned out exceptionally well. The key thing was taking my time, not trying to rush through just to get it done. Redrock Microsystems has really backed up the DIY guide. This was a lot of fun, and the results are amazing!"

Daves Spi June 2nd, 2005 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabor Lacza
Anybody saw this adapter already ????

I'm watching this one about a half year, at the beginning started for $35 and with rotating CD and strong abberation :) If I look now at http://www.redrockmicro.com/footage/...rdenstill1.tif, the image is better than was before, but I do not like it... its poor resolution - its shooted on Z1, but looks like 640x480 resized to 1024x768. Looks soft, no sharp hair... Want a proof ? Ok, printscreen the image, resize it to 640x480 and resize it back to 1024x768. Compare these two images - see the difference ??? Theres no difference...

Imran Zaidi June 2nd, 2005 09:04 AM

There's obviously a pretty good value here, but I must say I am dissappointed at the final pricing. I assumed that the lower $400ish price would be very tolerable for getting upside down footage. But now with the required rods and attachments and all putting it at almost a grand, I don't know that I can tolerate the upside down footage. I'm better off making a deal with a rental house to get the real thing to avoid the hassle and the compromise.

Also I noticed that the fact that this thing produces upside down footage is almost buried in the site. I'd suggest to the Micro35 people that they should be more up-front and clear about this on their site. You have to really hunt to find the info that it's producing upside down footage that must be flipped in post.

Donnie Wagner June 2nd, 2005 09:15 AM

moving GG

Does anyone know whether the GG is spinning or oscillating?

Radek Svoboda June 2nd, 2005 09:18 AM

With FX/Z1, what telephoto setting you use, how many mm, or you zoom all way in? What is GG image size that video camera films? Is 32 mm long, 24 mm long, or what?

How many F stops you lose? In top telephoto range of FX/Z1 lens is already F.2.8 and requires 3x as much light as in wide range.

Add loss in GG. If it is 1-2 f-stops, means 2-4x more light will be required.

Add loss in 35 mm lens. F2.8 means 8x more light will be required.

Add it up:

3x(2 to 4)x8= 48 to 96x more light will reuired. As I already said, if without adapter 1,000 Watts would light scene, for same performence with adapter some 48,000 to 96,000 Watts will needed. You need to haul large generator with you for interior scenes and have to worry about generator noise, etc.

Radek

Radek

Cody Dulock June 2nd, 2005 10:06 AM

i used one lowel DP bounced off an umbrella and got pretty nice lighting with the micro35.

Daves Spi June 2nd, 2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
3x(2 to 4)x8= 48 to 96x more light will reuired. As I already said, if without adapter 1,000 Watts would light scene, for same performence with adapter some 48,000 to 96,000 Watts will needed. You need to haul large generator with you for interior scenes and have to worry about generator noise, etc.3

Really do not know what are you talking about :) Did you see my nightshots made at 22:30 ???

On these photos you will see 6kW and 12kW light...
http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p1074.jpg
http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p1072.jpg
Really cant imagine to put it somewhere to interior scene lol...

http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p1063.jpg
this is with F4 lens !!! under one 60W light, room without windows.

So do I need 100 times more light ? Like 60Wx100 ? Means 6kW ? huh...

http://web.datriware.com/gfx_photos/articles/p1064.jpg
night footage with F4 lens, shutter 1/50

Jonathan Houser June 2nd, 2005 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
With FX/Z1, what telephoto setting you use, how many mm, or you zoom all way in? What is GG image size that video camera films? Is 32 mm long, 24 mm long, or what?
How many F stops you lose? In top telephoto range of FX/Z1 lens is already F.2.8 and requires 3x as much light as in wide range.
Add loss in GG. If it is 1-2 f-stops, means 2-4x more light will be required.
Add loss in 35 mm lens. F2.8 means 8x more light will be required.

Add it up:
3x(2 to 4)x8= 48 to 96x more light will reuired. As I already said, if without adapter 1,000 Watts would light scene, for same performence with adapter some 48,000 to 96,000 Watts will needed. You need to haul large generator with you for interior scenes and have to worry about generator noise, etc.
Radek

With all due respect Radek I would say that there are some holes in your math. I can't speak for Micro35 but the Guerilla35 loses 1.5-2 T stops. Not F-stops. Taking lens achromat and GG included. This video www.guerilla35.com/G35D3.html was shot at 2.8 (taking lens) DVX lens zoomed into Z72 and wide open with no gain. I can tell you; those basement shots did not have a "gennie". There is light loss. With a camera like the Z1, which performs poorly in low light as it is, you will probably need to light. None of this is any different with the Mini35 or Pro35. I was comparing our adapter to the Mini35 the other day and we lost less light than them. (Just barely) These adapters are not miraculous, but they serve a purpose if used correctly. I would rate the DVX between 100 and 160 ASA with the G35 in place.

Jonathan-
www.guerilla35.com