Using the Letus without a tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the Letus without a tripod

What are your recommendations for using the Letus (plus rails etc) without using a tripod if you want to move around to take shots? Do you use a shoulder pad or simply balance the rails on your shoulder?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Tim.

Unless you have to be at shoulderheight for your shots, maybe try a cross-shoulder strap from a weedwhacker (whippersnipper) as a sort of sling and shoot with the camera at upper waist height with the LCD screen to sight with.

Unless you orientate the combination partly across your bodyline, your back, neck and shoulders will get a crank in them fairly quickly.

On the shoulder, if you are left-handed like me, you may find it easier to reserve your right hand for lens focus with right thumb under the right rod for support, use your left thumb under the camera carryhandle and left third or fourth (pinky) finger to operate the top "run" button in the handle. With the EX3 you have the eyepiece which may be a bit high in this arrangement. With the EX1, it is either "close-up" eyeglasses or a sock-loupe for the LCD screen.

You may also need to fit the rod extensions and set the appliance well forward on the rods to leave enough overhang on the back to rest on your shoulder.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I have a Cavision Shoulder Pad plus single handgrip: Cavision Shoulder Pad System Package with Single Handgrip which both attach to my rods. Then I add the accessory case: Cavision Accessory Cases for Shoulder Pad System from which I hang a small sandbag to balance the whole thing.

Not ideal, but affordable and works.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #4
New Boot

(noob to this forum, my first tech post!)

A shoulder pad mounted to your rails works pretty good. Learning to focus on the run is the hard part!

Some things that make it easier. Use a wide lens, like a 28mm. Ifinity focus is what, 8 feet away!. Focus the lens to infinity and keep a bit away from the action.

You can use your cameras zoom to zoom though the lens to get the closer frame you want.

Also, along those same lines I find it easier and cleaner to move towards and away from the action, rather than constantly tweaking the focus ring. Set your focus at some distance from the action, then try and keep that distance away from the subject, move in and out to keep in focus..

critical focus is a must so external HD monitor and on camera focus assists are going to save you.
Dan Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods