mini35 clone with Sony DSR-370 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 21st, 2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mini35 clone with Sony DSR-370 ?

Last weekend I helped a friend shoot something with a Sony DSR-370. I had brought my mini35 clone with me to show it to him, and we tried if it would fit on the Sony, but the image was always way to wide.
How much macro enlargement would I need to make this combination work? (my Canon XM1 only needs +10)
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I am not familiar with the DSR-370. If it is a camera with a removable lens, I suspect it may also be a 1/2 inch chip camera. This may "see a larger area of the groundglass and give you a hotspot problem. If it is a camera with a mount similar to B4 on the older 2/3inch cameras, then you may have to look at doing what the Canon XL1 and XL2 people are doing.

It may be possible for you to buy in the relay lens P+S Technik use for their Mini35-DSR370 combination. This or any other relay lens you use would probably have to replace the existing camera lens. I think the Canon XL1 and XL2 operators were looking at C-Mount lenses in adaptors. The focal distance of these lenses would probably have to be in the ballpark of 25mm to 35mm and their mounting flange face would have to be about 5mm furthur forward from the normal C-Mount mounting face for them to work as close-up lenses.

If you know anyone with a Bolex H16 with three turret lenses, you might be able to borrow the 16mm and 25mm lenses to test with. You would have to use a home made jig to position then lenses for best coverage of the image inside the hotspot, then take measurements between the mounting faces and make an extended B3(?) to C-Mount adaptor.

[DSR-370] --- | (B3 lens mount face) --- adaptor tube --- normal C-Mount face + 5mm | >>> 25mm lens. >>> approximately 120mm to groundglass |

H16 Bolex lenses will likely vignette but will give you some idea if it will work. You can get a variety of CCTV C-Mount security lenses with the required field of view. Fujinon, Cosmicar are two which come to mind. Make sure the lens which matches the focal length ofthe Bolex lens is for a 1/2inch or 2/3inch camera CCD.

Because a C-Mount lens mount face sits closer to the focal plane (17.5mm???) than B3 and B4 lenses any adaptor is going to be hollow and the C-mount lens will sit back inside the camera body. There may not be enough clear space inside the DSR-370 behind the B3? mount face. I think it is possible with B4. I suspect your camera may be a B3? mount.

I'm no expert so don't take too much notice of this. -- good luck. Well done it is worth doing.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 22nd, 2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, you're certainly a bigger expert than me! Thanks for the reply.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Major Player

As Bob knows im trying to get a betacam to work on my AGus35.
After recently showing the cam to the guy that built the box, he thought it might be a quick fixto step down from 77mm to 37mm (pdx10), and make a large external mount.

Good luck,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods