Catching up in mini35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Trustee

Catching up in mini35

I owned the mini35 300 and sold it several years ago on through this very site. What is the story these days with HD and mini35? I recall the 400 was best for HD, but now there appears to be a compact version out too. What do people recommend for an HVX200 as far as PS Technik, and non-PS Technik 35mm lens adapters?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dennis.

So far as I know, the "Compact" is suited only to cameras which have the ability to "flip" the image in-camera, notably the JVC GY-HD250. It features less light loss through not using a prism or mirror flip stage. Jim Frater, professional camerman here in W.A was pleased with his.

I had a look inside it recently after it was damaged on a rent out. I found signs somebody had been in there before me. The build quality as with all P+S is excellent.

The P+S groundglass seems to be the sharpest of all at 22mm motion picture frame width.

Unfortunately, with lens-in-camera style cameras which enable zoom-back to cover more groundglass area, the P+S adaptors are engineered to be reliably and predictably faithful to the motion picture image frame only.

You cannot procure better apparent resolution as you may with the alternative adaptors by covering more groundglass area and using very fast stills lenses.

The next contender I can speak for is the Letus Extreme which is a favourite through being familiar with it. I have messed with the one I have a little to push the apparent resolution up a bit.

I did this by adding a lateral-only centering adjustment vaguely similar in function to the X-Y adjustment of the Letus Ultimate so I can back off as far as I can to scale the groundglass texture smaller relative to frame size.

With that I can go very close to native camera resolution on the EX1/EX3. With a hack I can do quite well on the SI2K but there is a bit of corner softness as I used a stills lens for relay to the 2048 x 1152 sensor.

Here is a test chart which is on bottom of the page 1 of an older post. I have since made a correctly framed one which still shows the "A" and "F" blocks are optically resolved. These represent 1920 x 1080.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/let-us-d...g-extreme.html

I can't speak for Cinevate Brevis, SGPro/Blade, Redrock M2 and its son, as I have not used them. All the alternative products have progressed beyond the first "pioneer" generation and are well matured in build quality and function. Brevis and SGPro/Blade offered swappable choices of groundglass textures and I think Redrock's latest does as well.

I have previously referred people to look at the movie "Dear Wendy" which is on DVD. This was shot on a custom Sony HD camera head tethered to a remote recorder and used a P+S Technik Pro35 adaptor and older cine lenses for a particular "look". The behind the scenes "others" are worth viewing.

A crew fitted a Pro35 up to a SI2K in Russia for a feature movie.

Phil Bloom has tried about every adaptor known to humankind and his site Philip Bloom - DP, Director, Filmmaker is worth a look.

Unfortunately I cannot now recall his name but a professional cameraman in Europe put a SGPro ( I think ) on a Viper which I think was a 2/3" system, using Zeiss optics in custom barrels and achieved amazing test results. It was posted here on dvinfo.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 19th, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: potentially libellous error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Major Player

The compact version is built specifically for some JVC and Canon XL H1 cameras at the moment.

P+S has always been a favorite of mine for adapter use, their build quality really are fantastic.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods