Doesn't Optex or Century Optics or someone make 80mm-35mm slr adapters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 7th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #1

Doesn't Optex or Century Optics or someone make 80mm-35mm slr adapters?

I could have sworn I saw a website at one point that had adapters for just about any guage to any guage. Had options of like c-mount, bayonet, whatever. And there was a whole section on adapting things like 52mm and 72mm and 80mm up to 35mm slr lenses. It was back when we were all up and arms about finding 35mm lens connectors for these "box cameras".

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I assume you're talking about going from one lens maufacturer to another one - like Canon to Nikon or something like that. You may have found a site like that at one time. If you find it again, let us know.

I've looked around but haven't really found that much. Some of those adapters tend to be quite pricey and it's probably to do with say Canon , Nikon, (whatever lens company) has it's own proprietary design for it's bayonet mount, so for them to make an adapter to go from one to another, they have to pay a fee to that company in order to use their mount design.

I've seen some adapters that were at least a couple hundred, so the above would make sense in terms of cost. I've seen many on eBay. You just have to search continuously everyday, because someone is putting something else new up for sale everyday. There are probably more popular ones than others.

If you can't find what you're looking for, try looking for the broken lenses and cameras that need repairing, or don't work, that you're wanting to be incorporated into the adapter. Lets say you want to go from Pentax 645 lens to a Nikon 35mm mount. Buy a broken Pentax lens and a broken 35mm Nikon camera and you're in business. Take the mounts off and put them on a barrel that's at the proper length for infinity focusing, put it all together and you have yourself a mount. Especially if you're handy with maching or can find someone to do it for you. Then just drill the holes in the right places, screw on the mounts to each side and it's done.

This is what I'm doing to go from Mamiya 645 lenses to a Canon FD 35mm mount. I've yet to see that made as an adapter. I'm mean, why would you really want to do that for still photography, you know. If you're going to use 645 lenses, why not make the most out of it and use a 645 body as well, right. But for us that are making these "35mm adapters" it's alittle different.

If you're talking about the filter threads at the end of a lens, there are many places that have rings that go from one diameter threading to another diameter threading. B&H Photo.com and Amazon.com are two off the top of my head that will have probably any diameter thread you'll want. I'm sure if you picked up a copy of Shutterbug from your local magazine rack you'll find them plentiful in there as well.

Court
Courtney Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Major Player

We can do almost all of the adapters at home. The problem is, if I just make 1, it doesn't justify the cost of making mold and/or setup. If we come up with something that can be used in quantity of 100 or more, I will think about it.
Quyen Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods