Larger sized 35mm adapters.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Larger sized 35mm adapters..

I was looking around for a 35mm adapter, but apart from the real professional (and expensive) models, there were none for larger format camera's. The max prosumer style/priced model I have found fits the 72mm thread of a HVX200, but above that there is nothing.

I'm currently using an older SD Pal B4 camera, and would like more of a 35mm look, however a 3000+$ adapter would be a bit overkill for such a camera.

Are there any solutions to get more of a filmlook out of the camera, lenswise? Seeing as 3000+$ adapters are out of the questions, I guess so are digiprimes.
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What size do you need? You could probably just use a step-down ring. Also I'm sure you can find an inexpensive used dof adapter since they started becoming pretty popular about 3-4 year ago. People are starting to sell theirs because of the new hdslrs.
Deke Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Size would probably be a 77mm-82mm thread from a 18x9 or similar.
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Trustee

the lens ring size is not the issue. Its much harder optically for a 2/3" camera to focus on a 35mm screen a few inches away than it is to do it with a 1/3" chip. Its just not possible with a standard zoom lens. You need a dedicated "relay lens" like Letus makes but then you are up to $3500 or so. Sorry no free lunch on this one.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sander.

There was an industry professional in Greece who posted here a while back on the Alterntive Imaging Methods forums, who had custom adaptors made up for a Thompson Viper 2/3" or something like it and used Zeiss-for-Nikon stills lenses, one arrangement for 35mm the other for S35mm. I think he was using a SGPro adaptor by Wayne Kinney.

In my playing around with a SI2K (2/3" CMOS sensor) and a Letus Extreme, I found I could get passable but not brilliant results using Nikon primes, 40mm, 45mm, 50mm. The Extreme has a large groundglass area available and some headroom to accommodate a small mismatch of focal lengths.

I was getting soft corners but probably because I was using the special achromat for the Sony PMW-EX1 camera which presents unique optical problems for adaptors.

If you can get hold of a Nikon to B4 adaptor, then make up a custom ring to screw into the front of a 45mm or 50mm Nikon lens and onto the back of the Letus adaptor, SGPro, Brevis, Redrock or whatever one you choose, you might get there. It is an awkward arrangement.

I can only speak for my tests with the Letus and a home-made AGUS35, which performed similarly.

The Nikon lens structure is not designed to carry the weight of an adaptor so it has to be both supported on rails and free to slide on them as backfocus through the Nikon lens is adjusted. This is because the Nikon lenses which suit, are not internally focussed and become shorter or longer with focus adjustment.

Nikon primes are stills lenses for single sensor systems (film or CMOS chip) and will not produce ideal results on a 3 x CCD camera which uses a prism splitter. You may get a chromatic abberation in the form of a blue corona on top of things like car roofs and headlights where there is contrast and a sharp edge.

Here are some links to my tests and a discussion here a while back.

LETUS EXTREME TO SI2K CAMERA TEST. By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

SI2K - LETUS EXTREME TEST. By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

FURTHUR SHORT TEST OF SI2K - LETUS EXTREME. VOIGTLANDER FOR NIKON f2 40mm FOR RELAY. By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

FURTHUR TEST OF SI2K - LETUS EXTREME AFTER RE-CENTERING By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

LETUS ON SI2K TEST By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

MINI35-400 ON SI2K CAMERA By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-...reme-si2k.html

As you will observe, acceptable results can be had but you would find the apparatus awkward to manage.

I also had a Super16mm film test with a 35mm adaptor posted on Brightcove | The Leading Online Video Platform but I think it has lapsed.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods