What am I doing wrong? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #16
Major Player

I can see from Oscars pictures that I should be able to get a good result, and from his other pictures my wax is WAY to thick. I'll try and remove some wax, and if I get some good results I post a picture of my adaptor for you...make sure to post if that PCX lens changes things.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Well yesterday I got a hold of a pcx type condensor lens, which is flat on one side and concave(?) on the other, and it completely solve my light distribution problems and even makes it possible to shoot indoors. The only problem is the lens is by itself and doesn't have any threads or means of setting it in to place. Here's the site where my source of the lens bought it at.

http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/...d=16&start=426

It's larger than the 55mm lens system I have now, but not by much. If I could get a threaded 55mm version of this lens I would solve my adapter problem.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Actually I just found which lens is the one I have. It's http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/...d=16&iid=21287 and even though it says 54mm dia. or something like that it still is a little too big.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Success... Sort of.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/DOFIndoor.mov

Here's a video of my most recent test. I had to shoot it in my apartment since it was raining here a good chunk of the day, so it's not as good as if it was better lit. I got a condensor which evenly spreads the light on my gg. The only problem is over the past several months, my ground glass has aquired an insignificant chip which is anything but insignificant on screen. Crap! I guess this might be a good excuse to try out a manufactured gg instead. It'd definitely have better light distribution than what I have now. I would try the wax, but I've heard it has a tendency to melt in hot climates.
Just a reminder, this is a Canon Optura XI with a Konica F1.4. Hopefully I can inprove on my design as time goes on.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM   #20
Major Player

Hey Riley,

Looking at your adapter, you have a close up lens right next to the 57mm Konica (same one I have). And you have another one farther down, how come?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The one that's closer to the lens is an empty spacer, but the one next to the ground glass acts as a weak condensor and at the same time reduces the length of the adapter slightly.

I took it outside today and didn't see any vingetting in 16x9 mode. I'm really excited and as soon as I can come across a better and more professional ground glass I'll be in business. I don't work tomorrow so I'll post a better video clip and a pic of the setup.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Looks good Riley, keep us posted with some pics!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods