What am I doing wrong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What am I doing wrong?

I've included both a capture from my adapter and a pic of my adapter.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Optura-1.jpg
https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/optura%202.jpg

As you can see from the capture image I have a horrible hotspot. I thought my condensor would solve that but I guess it didn't. I ground my uv filter for probably 45 minutes total so maybe that wasn't enough. Anyway if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. I'm probably missing something very simple.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I think maybe having the +4 close up between the 35mm lens and the GG could be the problem. Try taking it out or putting it between GG and DV cam.

Regards,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I tried moving the condensor between the gg and the camera and the results were the same which leads me to believe my gg isn't good enough. I might have access to another person's gg later this week so I'll try that one.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Major Player

You are using an optura camcorder? I ask because of the way you named your link. If so I may have a working adaptor tailor made for the Optura30 soon. My adaptor is actually using a wax screen --- Matthew Wauhkonen's method -- with no condensor and no macro...and its giving a relatively good image.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Major Player

How does the image look without the camcorder? Maybe you should move it further away from the GG.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, I'm using the Optura Xi camera and my design is almost exactly the same as Jim Webb's adapter ( http://www.enormousapparatus.com/35adapter.htm ) I'm going to meet with him again this weekend to get some help and try out his gg. If I move it out a little and zoom in, the camera can no longer focus on the gg, so would the next step be a macro? I'd be very curious to see your design Matt. I haven't seen any opturas with an adapter yet, but I have seen the Pana GS400.
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

What do you see without the camcorder? Do you still have vignetting?
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes I did, sorry I forgot to mention it. The light isn't being evenly dispursed over the ground glass. Yesterday I ground it for another 20 minutes in hopes of correcting this, but it didn't.
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #9
Major Player

update: I finally got it all together...ran outside, and though vingette and hotspot doesn't seem to be an issue...the grain I have even with a wax screen is absolutely terrible. However, I did find that using the optura i didn't need any macro to focus on the ground glass, and so all I did was use 3 UV filters and a step up ring (from 34 to 37) on my optura30. the first UV is a spacer, the second is the waxed screen, and the third is the cover. The Optura focused on this screen rather well. Then I drilled a hole in a 2" PVC cap so that the UV filters were inside the cap, and the back of the cap was against the camera and put my lens mount on this...required a little bit of playing to get the distance right, but it worked out.

Overall it is very simple, and if not for the grain would make for an extremly lightweight, small, and effective adaptor. No macro, no condensor, and no zooming in. I'm not sure why I'm getting so much grain using wax...though I am using Parafin.

edit: just to be clear...my distance between camcorder and ground glass is the distance of 1 step up, and 2 UV filters...about 10mm. This is what makes it work for the Optura, but won't work for higher end cams like the DVX since they can't focus that close natively.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If you have spare time, would you mind posting a screen grab from your camera and one of the setup? I would greatly appreciate it.

To see if zooming in would benefit me any I put my +2 lens on the front of my camera and zoomed in as much as I could while still being able to focus on my ground glass and the results were slightly better than the original pic.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/w...G?uniq=-tzh26q

I'd love to be able to buy a quality focus screen or make a wax screen, but I'd like to see this through if possible. It's looking more and more like the self ground glass isn't the way to go, at least in my case I guess.

Last edited by Riley Stearns; July 15th, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Riley Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #11
Major Player

check out ebay for beattie plain screens... also, i believe the microcystaline wax is what you would want to use, not parafin.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #12
Major Player

I think I may have done this wrong. I don't have a shot of the adaptor yet, but I can show you my screenshots. I may have been wrong...I notice very slight vinegette.

http://www.louisianaloud.com/Mambo/i...daptorshot.jpg

http://www.louisianaloud.com/Mambo/i...s/adaptor2.jpg

These two show what I was talking about with the severe grain.

http://www.louisianaloud.com/Mambo/i...aptorgrain.jpg
http://www.louisianaloud.com/Mambo/i...ptorgrain2.jpg

I kinda think I did my screen grabs wrong...they are showing up very small on my computer...but I think maybe I did that when I did something with my CMS on my website.

Quote:
i believe the microcystaline wax is what you would want to use, not parafin.
I agree...but I've seen better results than this with parafin...so I'm thinking maybe my wax is too thick or I did something wrong.
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock
check out ebay for beattie plain screens... also, i believe the microcystaline wax is what you would want to use, not parafin.
Isn't it also a lot harder to use?
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #14
Major Player

You can find everything you need to know about wax on the 'Microcrystalline Wax Techniques?' thread. The easiest and best possible way I found after two months of testing, on top of what Frank Ladner and Jim Lafferty already done, is described with images on my site: here
You can get this with paraffine
And you can get this with the much finer micro-wax
It's not harder to use microwax.
Old July 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

OK, so I found out that I have the wrong lens in front of my gg and that's probably the reason behind my uneven light distribution. I should have a PCX lens not a close-up lens. Tomorrow I'll have access to some both a macro and a pcx lens so I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods