Non-Spinning Ground Glass at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Non-Spinning Ground Glass

I have a fully charged battery and a Mini35 that we bought about 2 months ago. No matter what speed setting I choose, the glass does not spin. It did spin last week but now, it does not. Motor problem? Is this something I can fix or should I send it in? Thanks in advance.

-Matt
Matt Burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you use genuine Canon batterys? If not, this might be the problem.

The other problem are the contacts sometimes they do not get a good connection to the battery, or the cable between the batteryholder and the mini35 itself may cause problems, too.

dietmar
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #3
New Boot

More to this...

Here's more info. I can get the light to turn on but it's red even though the battery is fully charged. Today, I was able to get the ground glass to spin but then later it wouldn't. I have used the Canon 4 hour and standard batteries. The contacts look good. Possibly a short? Guess I should just send it in.
Old July 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You have the red light on, the battery fully charged, and the speed setting to your choice... but did you push in the green button?
Holly Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Green Button

In order to get the red light I have to push the green button. Is there another button on the Mini that I'm not pushing? The light doesn't come on until I push the button. When I do, it's red. Thinking I need to send it in. Not sure what the deal is. It's like it's not reading the full battery or something.
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Matt,
Legal disclaimer first: I do not act on behalf on against P+S, I am only trying to help a man in need of help with a practical advice.
Given that you had it going at one point and then it stopped again, I am thinking the movement might need lubrication or... the motor might need its brushes cleaned. Try this: with the battery mounted, speed set at the highest position and the button pressed, try and shake the unit on the optical axes and gently tap it with the other hand. In other words, create a mechanical "jump start" and if it goes on, send it back to have the movement lubricated/cleaned or the offending part replaced. That's about all I can suggest without voiding the warranty. Let us know if it gave any signs of resurrection.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Send it in...

I'd say send it in to ZGC. One of our units had the GG cease spinning and there was a simple fix for it but I don't like to open up expensive optical equipment so they did it and turned it around for us in a day.

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods