DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   cheap vibrating GG mechanism (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/48267-cheap-vibrating-gg-mechanism.html)

Quyen Le August 20th, 2005 03:21 AM

Shooting the Moon

http://www.nuocsong.com/nhatho/adapter/moon.mpg
The video was captured using Letus35 with 500mm FD lens at f32. under 2 seconds of video. Motor noise is improved. Thanks.

Quyen

Maheel Perera August 24th, 2005 10:08 AM

So you are shooting at f32. Means that the LETUS has no restriction on the Aperture? Am I correct?

Quyen Le August 24th, 2005 02:32 PM

Yes, the test video with Canon FD 1.4 go to the minimum aperture of 16, with FD 500mm it can go to 32, so I can say it has no restriction. Thanks.

Quyen

Leo Mandy August 26th, 2005 09:01 AM

Hey Quyen,

Can you change the GG you supply with your unit with a Nikon D focusing screen? That might really increase the image brightness if it were possible!

Giroud Francois August 26th, 2005 09:36 AM

shooting at f32 directly aiming at the moon is like shooting at f32 directly aiming a ligthbulb.
It gives no information about the quality/limits of the gg, since there is a lot of light involved there.

Quyen Le August 26th, 2005 10:39 AM

Mandy Leo,

I can change the GG to Nikon screen but I doubt that it will be brighter since my setup has very little light loss.

Giroud Francois,

The purpose of the moon shot is for checking motor noise only, not to show any performance there. You are right about this. Thank you for pointing this out.

In my test video shows some shot at f16 without any vignetting (minimum on FD 50mm f1.4) so I think I can refer to this to say that my adapter has no aperture limitation or restriction. Thanks.

Quyen

Ben Winter August 26th, 2005 10:55 AM

Quyen, Your adapter as you shipped it to me is absolutely silent. I can only hear the motor when it's six inches from my ear, and even then it's a quiet noise. I have to feel it to determine if it's on or not.

Giroud Francois August 26th, 2005 05:17 PM

that is really nice but 6 inches is probably twice the distance from the adapter to the camera microphone (and unfortunately, this one is pointed just right over the adapter).
So we really need a total silence.
i am just asking myself if some trick with magnet could make a really cool system.
just imagine a ring with 4 magnets (noon,three, six and nine hours.) with the positive (or neg) polarity pointed to the center of the ring.
now you put infront of each magnet, another one with same polarity, so they repulse each. this would be a perfect way to suspend something inside a force field, allowing very easy vibration and then quiet system.
gluing the motor with soft silicon should help too keep noise down.

Ben Winter August 26th, 2005 05:27 PM

Magnets have to be so exactly placed so they exert force directly in the center of the opposing magnet, otherwise they'll slip off in a perpendicular axis.

Magnets would be a very fishy way to go and I can see it being (1) difficult to set up and (2) difficult to keep in place.

Don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity and powerful force of magnets. Their application has to be extremely precise. Also, the force of magnets follows a logarithmic scale, so as you get closer to the magnet its power increases exponentially instead of in a linear pattern.

Bill Porter August 26th, 2005 06:34 PM

Actually I find the idea of magnets to be a brilliant one. There are some elegant and simple solutions to the stumbling blocks you (Ben) mention.

The "keeping in place" would be the easy part. For me the question comes down to, is it worth the trouble?

Quyen Le August 26th, 2005 08:05 PM

Noise

If you use external mic, this discussion is not for you. If you use internal mic, I can challenge all the units that using motor to do side by side to compare noise with my unit, this challenge includes mini35 of any generations.

My unit's noise is less than the noise of the camera itself (tape compartment's noise). Giroud Francois made the point there. This unit is right at the mic. In most cases, I found that motor's noise cannot be heard unless there is completely no other noise at all like the moon shooting scene.

Most of the noise come from the motor itself, not the hardware that mounting the GG. I wish you luck trying to use magnet to reduce noise.

When I saw and heard about the mini35, I said to myself, I can beat mini35 by 2 points: motor noise and hand held. I actually did it and offer very affordable price for my unit.

I have a plan to build supporting rods and of course it's steady and affordable. This one is built with light weight aluminum. I don't think that many people here are interested on building this. Tell me if you are interested then I will post the plan, thanks.

Quyen

Leo Mandy August 27th, 2005 08:36 AM

I think the supporting rods would be a great idea for those that plan on using a Matte box in the future.

Ben Winter August 27th, 2005 08:58 AM

Or a zoom lens, lol. Those things can get pretty massive.

Maheel Perera August 27th, 2005 09:52 AM

Putting an adaptor in front of the lens to get the film look and recording sound using the built in mike?. What a contrast?

Quyen,

Does your adaptor has interchangable lens mounts?

Quyen Le August 27th, 2005 10:34 AM

Please give me time to put together a plan, it's harder than actually build one. I am working to resolve my website problem to post pictures.

Maheel

My adapter has FD Canon lens mount now and cannot be interchanged. I can make Nikon lens mount too if you prefer. Thanks.

Quyen