Condensers and film strip projector question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 25th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Condensers and film strip projector question

I have finally taken apart an old film strip projector that I had lying around (I thought I might have a use for it, but alas the use came in the form of destroying it to get the lenses!). Now here is the question. The setup in the project is like this :

LIGHT - |) (| filmstrip LENS

Why are there two in sequence? In fact, one is crystal clear like glass and the other is slightly bluish green in tint. Any ideas?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Major Player

These are just guesses so bear with me :)

The lens that seems to be colored might be due to an optical coating. Often these coatings will appear as a fine blue/green/purple film on the lens which can be seen better at some angles than others.

The reason for the two sequential lenses is to eleminate distortion. When you have two lenses in that sort of setup the distortion created by the first lens will usually be corrected well enough by the second (of the same type) to use in projection etc.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, its weird though, why two lens in sequence just to make the light less distorted? There is nothing between the light and the two lens, so that is why I was curious.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods