Fix one problem and another starts - barrel distortion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Fix one problem and another starts - barrel distortion

I think those that have this DOF thing perfected are complete geniuses and I applaud them wholeheartedly - now onto my nightmare...again.

Well, it seems when I get one thing fixed - mainly the spread of light evenly and vignetting - and another one props up . I am getting major barrel distortion from the condenser - after looking at the footage a second time, I am noticing that straight line, poles etc are bananaing and curving - a product of the condenser. I have tried |) (| to fix it, but to no avail. Again, I applaud those that seem to get this thing right the first time and those that have been at it for a long time and are tinkering, but I just can't seem to get it right (broken record).
Someone was using PCX lenses, I am wondering if they are getting the same problem?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think people are doing the optical path like this :-

Subject >> SLR lens (| >> GG >> |) >> Dioptre or close-up lens >> camcorder.

If I read your post correctly, your condensers are facing the wrong way. The flats should be closest the groundglass. Both condensers as I understand it, should be identical. There are people here accomplished in this department so do not take too much notice of this commentry.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bob, I tried that too, but just get more distortion. I am going to have to find a couple of tried and true condensers to really see if this is going to work. I am also back to blurring around the edges of the frame problem as well. I was doing some tests to see what a wire looks like in the middle, left and right, well needless to say the middle looked great, but the left and right were blurry.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Major Player

are you using some kind of tiffen or hoya macro??? that will cause distortion around the edges if you have a poopy macro...
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
well needless to say the middle looked great, but the left and right were blurry.
How big is the condenser you are using ? Maybe it too small. I used just one with diameter about 8cm and worked well.

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes it is too small I think, about 45mm - I am going to try and find another one that is about 7-8cm like you have and see what difference it makes. The trouble is now, do I get a DCX with two rounded sides or just the one?

Dave, what was the focusing screen type again? Was it Nikon D? I wonder what the 'T' and the other letters represent?

Last edited by Leo Mandy; July 28th, 2005 at 08:33 AM.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods