DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   HDR video is now possible (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/484580-hdr-video-now-possible.html)

Andrew Smith September 11th, 2010 04:24 AM

HDR video is now possible

See the sample here:

Make sure you "like" the video in Vimeo to bookmark it and see the finished film. Also from the vimeo page:

"This video highlights several clips we've made using our new High Dynamic Range (HDR) process. Video is captured on two Canon 5D mark II DSLRs, each capturing the exact same subject via a beam splitter. The cameras are configured so that they record different exposure values, e.g., one camera is overexposed, the other underexposed. After the footage has been recorded, we use a variety of HDR processing tools to combine the video from the two cameras, yielding the clips you see above.

HDR Video provides filmmakers with many exciting new opportunities. Not only can HDR video create interesting effects, it can also allow for even exposure where artificial lighting is unavailable or impractical. For example, when a subject is backlit, one camera could be set to properly expose the subject, the other the sky, resulting in video with perfect exposure throughout.

We will continue to develop and improve the HDR video process for better results and efficiency. For more information, check out our website Soviet Montage Productions."

Music
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Opus 40, Number 9
Performed by Kevin MacLeod
Licensed Under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0"

Eric Darling September 11th, 2010 09:21 AM

It flickers an awful lot...

Andrew Smith September 12th, 2010 05:13 AM

That flicker is artistic! :-P

Andrew

Eric Darling September 12th, 2010 10:53 AM

The concept is interesting. How are you matching up the cameras? I wonder if one of them had an auto setting left on by accident?

Liam Hall September 12th, 2010 12:34 PM

Red's Epic camera shoots HDR with no need for a 3D rig and it doesn't look like badly toned map footage like this.

David Knaggs September 12th, 2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1568605)
Epic ... doesn't look like badly toned map footage like this.

Yes. The still frame I saw from the Epic HDR mode (ungraded) looked quite remarkable. This implementation is, to me, an unexpected leap in the evolution of HDR. The Epic shoots HDR in 5K at up to 48 fps. With 18 clear stops. You have to record twice the data of non-HDR, of course. Another thing which impressed me was that Epic can record it in a two-stream mode, which gives you the option afterwards of using the HDR footage or "regular" footage.

I was expecting that it would take a few years for HDR to evolve to this point. I'm very glad to be wrong about this. I think it's a remarkable achievement for cinema.

Andrew Smith September 14th, 2010 12:48 AM

... and apparently there was a beam-splitter involved.

HDR video accomplished using dual 5D Mark IIs, is exactly what it sounds like -- Engadget

Andrew