XL2 and Pl Adapter Woe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 and Pl Adapter Woe

Has anyone out there had any experience, or success using a pl mount adapter on the xl2? I have a zeiss 10-100, and an angenieux 5.9 for 16mm and I can't get either lens to focus properly. With both lenses it's as if they dont seat deep enough into the camera. With the angenieux on my beaulieu everything in front of the lens is in focus but when I put it on the XL2 the glass makes contact with the ccd cover filter before focus is achieved. It's my understanding that the flange depth of these lenses should be about 52mm. Is it more than 52mm from the ccd cover to the chips themselves? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I have been doing a lot of measuring the XL1. The distance between ccd and the mounting surface is about 1.130" the distance between the cover glass to ccd is much smaller, hope this help.

Quyen
Quyen Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

is the pl mount adapter for the xl supposed to use 16mm lenses or 35mm lenses?? this could be your problem with flange distance.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Hard to say

After researching this extensively I have learned that the flange focal depth is 52mm for PL and 41mm for bayonet mount arri lenses. The problem that I believe I have is that they are older lenses and the focal depth, from element to film plane, is shorter than the more modern lenses. For example the 5.9 Angenieux can't be used on an Arri SR3 because the lens will make contact with the mirror shutter, which leads me to believe that the older lenses are deeper than the newer ones. I think I need to add that both of these lenses have been adaped to PL mount and came originally as arri standard and bayonet. Who knows it could also be that in the Xl1 the ir filter is deeper and therefore not an issue but I dont have an Xl1 anymore so it's hard to say.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods