Possible Focusing Screen Alternative! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 12th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #31
Trustee

I had a par56 spot on, a reflector screen as balance, and 2 lekos cross-lighting the pebble.

Ok, just kidding. I just happen to have really nice halogen bulbs in a fixture overtop my kitchen counter.

In terms of real-world, I plan on shooting a huge bunch of footage tomorrow outside, provided I get some kind of usable outdoorsy light (i.e. non-london weather). :)

That's hopefully getting posted tomorrow. I'm glad you like the results!

Best of luck with whatever you try.

Last edited by Ben Winter; August 13th, 2005 at 01:02 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #32
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I'm glad you like the results!
Like?!?!? I love 'em! And noooo moving parts too!

can't wait for tomorrow ..

Actually the weather has ben great for the past week ..

TIA,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #33
Major Player

It does look fantastic. How is it for fast pans? I have heard also that the asian macro (as well as my Tiffen) have terrible colour abberation - have your shot a street light or a lamp light to see if you are getting colour separation?

Also, you mentioned a PCX before, but in the picture of the adapter, you didn't label it - have you gotten rid of it?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #34
Trustee

Using someone else's advice, I was able to get the macros down to +7. In terms of color abberation, I'm getting nothing special but interesting lens flares when I shoot bright light ;).

Fast pans are fine. You don't notice the grain any more than you do normally.

The PCX still hasn't come, I never used it, and with this better Canon 1.4 lens I'm getting more usable space on the focusing screen than I ever dreamed of--basically the entire thing except the extreme corners (which are dirty anyway). The only complaint I have is that I mounted it a bit off somehow, so the screen isn't dead center--depending on the way it's screwed on, it's either a bit too high or a bit too low, which means I have to zoom in an unnecessary amount to get rid of the blank spot. It irks me, but nothing more. lol. I can still focus on it. Plus that means even less grain if you just leave it there and cover it up by making it widescreen in post (seems like most people do that anyway).

I'm willing to make these and sell 'em for $230 with Canon 50mm f1.8 SLR Lens if anyone's interested and doesn't feel like making them themselves. Or $200 without the lens. You could get a vibrating GG adapter from www.adapterplace.com for $300 (without SLR lens), but personally for some reason I don't like his results as much. Maybe it's the gratification of making it yourself ;).

Last edited by Ben Winter; August 13th, 2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #35
Trustee

I was able to get on set of a local TV show, "Nigel's Garden." Taking my camera and gingerly placing it near the talent, I was able to get this:

http://www.astronautradiomusic.com/nigelsgarden.mov

They even let me convince them into actually using the camera to shoot a few parts. Enjoy!
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #36
Major Player

Nice clip, love all that vegetation.

I know you're in the UK but... was that guy's accent for real? I felt like the clip was three seconds away from a request for Grey Poupon. ;-)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #37
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
I felt like the clip was three seconds away from a request for Grey Poupon. ;-)

Grey Poupon? - Who he?

Anyways Ben! Hilarious! All that "received" English . .too funny . .

Ben? I guess you were on auto exposure - yeah?
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #38
Old Boot

Ben? Your film was funny, but have you seen the results of the rotating GG?

Here is the links:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=gg#post345710

and this is down-loadable MPG short:

http://www.nuocsong.com/nhatho/adapter/test.mpg

I'd like to see a head-to-head with yours worked on a tripod and demonstrating the DoF as per our colleagues? Perhaps if you went with manual expo it would assist to get a better idea.

Up to you, of course!

Regards

Grazie
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #39
Trustee

I'll definately get right on that. At lower apertures the grain can be easily seen, btw. I'll show that too.

There's definately a huge advantage with moving ground glass, I must say.

Haha, yah I was on auto exposure. I'll turn that to manual next time.

"I know you're in the UK but..."

gotcha! We're in Maryland, in the states. That was just a friend of mine foolin around. He was born in Europe and loves to research everything there is to know about other countries, he has a thing for d*ckin around if you know what I mean.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #40
Major Player

Ahhhh you were talking about Graham's weather, when you said "provided I get some kind of usable outdoorsy light (i.e. non-london weather)". I thought you meant your own. Well, welcome to the United States! We have IKEA.

Graham, Grey Poupon is the distant cousin of Colonel Mustard from the game CLUE (CLUEDO in Euroland). Grey is froufy and lacks the hard-nosed appeal of the Colonel. He's under suspicion for an incident involving the knife, the wrench (spanner, to you), and the revolver, in the conservatory.

Edit: btw, that is "oscilating" or at least "vibrating" GG in that link you posted. Not rotating. Just FYI.

Last edited by Bill Porter; August 14th, 2005 at 03:47 PM.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #41
Regular Crew

I recieved my screen in the mail today, so now I've got to figure out how to fit it in a 55mm filter. Home Depot here I come.
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #42
Major Player

Hey Riley, where did you buy the screen from? Keep me posted on project and how you manage to get the screen mounted.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I certainly will, and I bought mine from B&H.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #44
Trustee

You could glue it to a UV filter. I'm investigating finding on of those rotatable mounts because it's a bit of a hassle to turn the screen the right way so it lines up in the frame. Of course, if you always plan on using the same setup (macro lenses don't change, etc.) setting it up once should be enough.
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #45
Regular Crew

My solution today was to buy a sheet of thick paper (project paper) which is the same thickness of a uv filter. I cut out a 55mm filter sized circle and then cut out a rectangle in the middle of that which holds the focus screen without glue. Then I got an empty filter ring and set the circle inside it. Works good for now until I can get a permanant plastic mount. I also found that I need a stronger macro. The grain on the screen is more than I got from the home-made gg, but it doesn't bother me like it does other people. Once I find a +10 macro, I'll post footage from my adapter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods