Has somebody made a mini35 style adapter for the XL2 or is the P+S the only option? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Jonathan,
I would very much like to see a picture of your product.
How close are you guys to going into production?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #17
Regular Crew

prime mounts....

Michael Maier ---

what type of mounts on your primes????
Sarena Valilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #18
Trustee

I have a set of 3 C mount and a couple of SLR type of primes.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #19
Major Player

We at Holy Zoo felt lucky enough to make just one adapter. Heh heh. We aren't in the manufacturing business. But the documentation is there if ya want to try to build one yourself.

I recommend investigating the Micro35 or Guerilla35. Mucho kudos to both companies for venturing to bring low cost 35mm imagers to the market. Not an easy endeavor, so for the $$ they are charging, it's more than worth it.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Jonathan,
I would very much like to see a picture of your product.
How close are you guys to going into production?
Marco,
Me too :0 That being said, we have not machined up the production unit's. We currently are setting up our contacts for manufacturing. There are some photos of the pre-production "prototypes" floating around the net. I'm no longer posting those, as I do not want to be misleading as to what our production units will look like. I don't care if someone else links to them. The units will be about 4.75" long and weigh less than a lb. I will post the 3D CAD drawings as soon as our last patents get filed (a week or so). Thanks!

Jonathan Houser
www.guerilla35.com
Jonathan Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
It seems I over looked the complexity of it somehow. The reason I like the idea of having the adapter straight in the lens mount is that way you don't have to film through an extra piece of glass and you don't have to be limited by the resolution of the stock lens.
Yes, and no. You are still going to have to run it through a relay lens. Much fewer elements, but it takes quite a bit of optical knowledge to get a lens assembly that would render an acceptable image. Also, Fast lenses (achromats) are very expensive. You could very well end up spending $600-$1000 on just the relay lens with an iris and whatnot. You could buy one from P+S but that, well, you are looking in the $2k realm.

As for using the XL lens, Steve D is really the person who could answer this best. I believe he uses a 14x manual lens. That way, when you are not using these adapters you still have a nice manual lens to shoot with. Whichever lens you choose, make sure it has a good macro funtionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
So, what are the commercial adapters available out there for purchase? I don't want to build it myself. I would like one of those ready units. I only know the Holy Zoo so far.
Thanks guys.
Our units are a static solution. You still have the flipped image but you don't have the issue that can arise from a moving focusing screen. No batteries, high shutter speed capabilities, silent operation and extremely durable construction. Check out our site for demo's www.guerilla35.com

Cheers!

Jonathan Houser
www.guerilla35.com
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

patents???

Jonathan Houser

just curious..... how much does it cost for a patent att these days???

Michael Maier
i was hoping that you had a plmount... could have worked out a trade of some sort....
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Valilis
Jonathan Houser

just curious..... how much does it cost for a patent att these days???

Michael Maier
i was hoping that you had a plmount... could have worked out a trade of some sort....
Well, The app is one thing. But with attorney fees, and prior art searches, it can get into the tens of thousands of dollars.
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Houser
... I will post the 3D CAD drawings as soon as our last patents get filed (a week or so). Thanks!

Jonathan Houser
www.guerilla35.com

i thought it was between 6 and 12 k$ depending.... i was surprised to see that you guys were spending that kind of money for something that was already under patent.... unless im missing something, didnt pstechnic already have the device and anything similar protected????
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Valilis
i thought it was between 6 and 12 k$ depending.... i was surprised to see that you guys were spending that kind of money for something that was already under patent.... unless im missing something, didnt pstechnic already have the device and anything similar protected????
I can't comment too much on it, but the patent that we already hold protects us plenty.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #26
Major Player

Michael Maier

If yuo want the adapter that use 35mm lenses on the XL2 without any glass, you may check this out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-FD-mount-l...QQcmdZViewItem

Quyen
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #27
Trustee

Those mechanical adapters multiply the focal length by 7.2 or something, don't they?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #28
Trustee

Hey Brian,

I have registered in your forums at redrock but am still waiting for the activation. The Micro35 may be a solution for me.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods