Question about focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about focus

Once I have achieved to proper focus to infinity, i.e. distance from ground glass to lens, should I be able to create DOF just looking at an image thru the lens to the ground glass? I am using a Beattie without a Macro which I am able to zoom in and achieve focus. I'm waiting on a few more piece to be able to attach the box to the camera and test outside, and on different objects, but I have been able to bring everything into sharp focus using a Nikon 50mm f1.4. The camera is an XL2. Words of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Major Player

yes you can see the DOF change as you focus lens if you have the image projected onto the GG as long as something is blocking the light from entering the area.... but you will want a light tight enclosure.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Major Player

You mean "create shallow DOF", and yes, you will - the larger the aperture and the closer you focus, the shallower the depth of field. Longer lenses create the illusion of shallower DOF because the background is "zoomed in" in relation to the subject.

Have fun!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! I got it all set last night. AI could hardly sleep putting this thing together.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods