How to reverse LCD image on GL2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 11th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tyler
I guess though if the camera doesn't have the mirror mode then it will still be backwards. Better than it being upside down though.
Jeff, remember that the image will only be backwards if the mirror mode is 'ON'. So if your cam does not have mirror mode then you should be fine as long as you can find the sweet spot.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Jeff, remember that the image will only be backwards if the mirror mode is 'ON'. So if your cam does not have mirror mode then you should be fine as long as you can find the sweet spot.

Wayne.
Oh alright sounds good. Thanks.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #18
New Boot

and the trv900

Hoi, very interesting ...
i tried this magnetic method on my sony trv900 - no reaction - am i using a lousy magnet or is there another method inverting the screen on an sony camcorder?
greetz from Aachen, Germany
Maximilian
Maximilian Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Some cameras use a physical, nonmagnetic switch based on LCD position. Not all models of Panasonic camcorder seem to use magnets, either.

Last edited by Bill Porter; August 12th, 2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I would've never tried this on my Optura Xi, but i figured since the GL2 works this way, I'd give it a shot. To my suprise, it works! Makes shooting with the adapter so much easier. Thanks.

And as a plus it is also automatically mirrored, so it's a normal image.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #21
Trustee

Make sure you try both sides of the magnet. Polarity matters.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #22
Trustee

Also, some people have wondered why people with these adapters are shooting with a normal-sized LCD screen. Their arguement is, if you have to focus, shouldn't you need a larger, more detailed screen to decide what's in focus and what's not?

In a way, yes. But it's known that people with 20/20 vision cannot distinguish blurry artifacts that are barely noticed when blown up to an 8x10 and viewed at 1 foot. This basically equates to: if you have good vision and determine that something on the LCD screen is in focus, it probably is. Or at least no one will notice otherwise. You only really have to worry if you have really, really shallow depth of field.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
But it's known that people with 20/20 vision cannot distinguish blurry artifacts that are barely noticed when blown up to an 8x10 and viewed at 1 foot.
I think that depends on one's definition of what "blurry" means. :)

I have a 7.2" LCD and I can focus better than with the factory LCD. The simple fact is, small details are lost on the smaller screen because it has less resolution. So the big screen does help.

Last edited by Bill Porter; August 13th, 2005 at 05:44 AM.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I got some small magnits from some magnetix thing I saw at target and I was wondering, how do I go about testing to see if it can be done on my camera? I held the magnet up to different parts of the lcd screen when its past the flipping point, then moved it back to position, I got no results but is that how you do it? Its really hard to do since the magnets aren't that small and obviously dont stick to my camera.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #25
Regular Crew

problem with magnets is you always have the screen tilted up!

The problem with magnets is you always have the screen tilted up!

Thus you can't hold the camera above your head and film downwards.

Also taping the magnet in place is tedious.

A better solution is to simply unscrew the 3 silver screws around the lcd screen.

Remove the back portion and then move the magnet sensor from the hinge position and tape it to the back of the plastic housing.

Now you can velcro a magnet to the back of the screen and flip the footage much more easily independent of the LCD's angle or position.

Peace, Rolland
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland Elliott
The problem with magnets is you always have the screen tilted up!

Thus you can't hold the camera above your head and film downwards.

Also taping the magnet in place is tedious.

A better solution is to simply unscrew the 3 silver screws around the lcd screen.

Remove the back portion and then move the magnet sensor from the hinge position and tape it to the back of the plastic housing.

Now you can velcro a magnet to the back of the screen and flip the footage much more easily independent of the LCD's angle or position.

Peace, Rolland
I owned a GL2 for a while and the magnet trick was never a pain as you described. The magnet was powerful enough to just stick on there, and the image remained flipped even if I had the LCD turned any which way. I never taped the magnet in place.
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I think you are mistaken

I think you are mistaken. There is no metal on the inside of the plastic housing, thus nothing to stick to.

I have my gl2 in front of me and just tried it.
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #28
Trustee

...nope, I'm pretty confident in my memory. Are you putting the magnet on the LCD between the LCD and the body of the camera?

I used a magnet like this:
http://www.magnetsandhealth.com/cata.../neodymium.jpg

and put it here (see attachment) on the part of the LCD just above the hinge. If it doesn't work for you, Canon has obviously changed their camera design since then.
Attached Images

Old December 29th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #29
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian Friedrich
Hoi, very interesting ...
i tried this magnetic method on my sony trv900 - no reaction - am i using a lousy magnet or is there another method inverting the screen on an sony camcorder?
greetz from Aachen, Germany
Maximilian
I have a TRV900 and the magnet trick does NOT work with it. It uses an electrical switch to flip the image, not a mechanical one like many other cameras. Shame, cuz the 900 has one of the best LCD screens out there. I bought an external LCD with line-in. But it's not very practical as the one I got is too big and cumbersome to mount on the camera, so I have it on a second tripod. Basically only good for controlled shoots on sticks. The best solution id to upgrade the camera! CAUTION: I hear some of the newer cameras do NOT work with magnet trick, namely the Canon A1. Viele Gruesse aus den USA!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g/DSC06881.jpg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods