News to me, colour separation from the GG?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

News to me, colour separation from the GG?!

Well, I have been so focused on getting a clear picture with my DOF, that I haven't shot any lamps etc in a while and I was shocked to discover that I was getting colour separation. I thought it might have been my achromat, so I tried it without and lo and behold, the colour separation is there. I couldn't figure it out, so I took everything out and look through the lens with the GG in my other hand - it looked good, no separation - but when I put it together in my system, I am seeing the colour separation. I went even as far as just the SLR and my mini DV, no separation, but as soon as I add the GG into the mix, the colour separation is there.
I am using a Konica 57mm spinning CD, frostedwax/mylar/press&seal - all of the above and same thing, colour separation.
Anyone else know what is going on? Could it be my miniDV?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Leo,

Check your mail. I sent you 3 pictures of different lamps. Do you see anything in mine? Thanks.

Quyen
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Major Player

No, yours looks good. I don't get it with mine. I am beginning to think alot of my problems stem from the DV - PV852 Panasonic camera. Maybe it doesn't like the colour or something. If I change the white balance setting to indoor lighting, it looks better, but still there. I am not sure why and I am getting tired or trying to find out.
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Maybe plastic GG. Anybody with plastic GG experience the same problem?

Quyen
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Right as rain. I tried my 1/2 finished Quyen Special and no colour separation at all. I am using the plastic GG CD and there is definitely problems with them. I wonder why I haven't seen anyone writing about it before. I know there is a thread about a glass GG - they are on the right track for that. Glass it going to be much better. Count me in if someone figures it out. It would also explain why those that are using the WAX Oscar method are getting good results as well - glass again.
I wonder how the micro35 people are dealing with it? Maybe the PCX in front of the SLR - ACTION >> PCX >> GG >> PCX - maybe that solves the problem?
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah,
This is the very reason, other then light loss, that im trying to develope the spinning glass design on my other thread.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Good man Wayne, I didn't see the reason why, but it is good to know. Colour separation is such a bugger - I could shot right now with my DOF machine as it is, but I guess I really want the best I can get. What is the status on spinning glass?
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Major Player

I think to two main problems of the spinning glass idea are:

1: getting a perfectly balanced peice of glass as not to cause vibration

2: Getting the weight of the glass right as not to be too fragile and not produce too a strong gyroscopic effect.

Im just going from research here and have not actually attemped any experiementation yet, but will soon.

Wayne.
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Wax Oscar here...maybe it can also be caused by the coating on some of the clear CD's. I think the 'rainbow' coating should be on the side of the mylar or better, polish it off with car polish or something.

Edit; Didn't that Russian guy (Nicolas?) use a glass disk which started to crack?
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Oscar,

I think i should of added that cracking thing to my second point. The gyro force does put alot of stress on the glass. I know Nick Bartleet lost a £45 proffessionally made GG to this design via the glass shattering.

I think its a responsible MUST to point out the potential dangers of this method via experimentation and testing. Anyone testing this out should do so with caution.

Wayne.
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #11
Major Player

I wonder why it would crack. Maybe putting a compound or strengthener near the center where the hole is, so vibrations would cause the crack outwards.

Oscar, good point, I am going to try and find a CD without the rainbow and try the polish method.

Quyen's method is still sound and might be better for the glass problem. He is using a glass slide from a microscope set and not getting any colour separation so glass is definitely a better way to go.
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #12
Trustee

How fast, really, does the glass need to spin for the grain to dissappear anyway? Just keeping the camera at lower shutter speeds (1/30, 1/60, etc) would allow you to keep the rpms down, right?
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #13
Major Player

Thats true,
Im thinking of getting the fan motor with the adjustable speed control on it. Try filming a TV or PC monitor through a slow spinning disk, you think it flickers without an adapter?...DAMN.

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods