Anchor Optics Achromats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Anchor Optics Achromats

My adapter is working great: decent resolution, moderate light loss, and no visible grain at relatively open apertures (f4 and under, below that there's not grain but it gets hazy).

The macro lens I'm using (Asian brand off ebay) kind of sucks, though. Has anyone used the anchor optics ones? I'm thinking of getting a 54mm (mountable in a 58mm filter?) achromatic diopter with a focal length of like 90mm or something (which should be equal to about +11, right?) It's coated and dual element so I assume it should be good, and it's only about 30 shipped.

Will these be considerably better? Has anyone used anchor optics achromatic diopters? If so, how are they? If not, is there anything decent for a reasonable price ($40 and under is reasonable according to me)?

Thanks.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I purchased a condensor lens from Anchor Optics and it's really good quality.
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Major Player

I have bad experience with Anchor Optics. Ordered 2 prisms, they have scratches all over, both of them.

Quyen
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

They label their products as 1, 2, and 3. Make sure you buy 1 as the other two are used or worn. 1 should be completely clean.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Major Player

The item I bought didn' show any grade next to it.

Quyen
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought some condensors from them that were great quality so I'm going for it.

Just a question: if the achromats are indeed good quality, will a +11 strength exhibit more distortion than a +7 or something? My choices are (for the same price, roughly):

+7 No coating
+11 with anti-reflective coating
+5.5 with anti-reflective coating

I'm using a dvx100a so I know I need a moderately strong diopter. Currently I'm using a +10 and it's plenty strong enough. I know +7 is strong enough, but it doesn't have a coating. Any ideas?
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Have two PCX lenses from them that appear to be good (no scratches). Haven't put them to use yet, though. They are 50mm 97FL and were super cheap.

- jim
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I suggest before you buy the achromat with the smaller diameter you might check the capability of your camera's zoom lens by making a mask of the same diameter as the achromat and placing it against the front of your camcorder and see if you can zoom through without getting corner cropping or vignette. Even if you don't there is no guarantee you will get a good corner to corner image without edge softness as you will likely have to use a lot of zoom-through to avoid the edges.

I believe the DVX-100 to be a 72mm filter mount. The front optical element in the DVX-100 may well be a smaller diameter in the same manner that the Sony PD150 filter mount is 58mm but the front element diameter is 52mm. I put a 44mm diameter lens on front of it via adaptors and I found I had to go to about 70% zoom to get rid of the corner cropping. Close focus crashed at about 80% with this glass on front. So the 54mm diameter in front of your DVX-100 may be a bit tight also. Given that your chosen achromat may focus furthur away than the one I used, the vignette problem may be more apparent. Then again I could be totally wrong and you may well have proven it so by the lens you are currently using. In that case ignore my comments at will.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #9
Major Player

You may be right, but the achromats on the g35 and micro35 (while lower power, I think) are of similar size. So....here's to hoping it will work out. But that's a valid concern.

I guess I'll find out soon enough!
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Major Player

The ones with the Micro35 - are you talking about the free one that comes with the kit?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Yup. It looks like they mount it similarly. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from Edmunds.
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Nevermind. Looks like this: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1590.html

Am I right?

+6 power about....seems plausible.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods