Review of Quyen Le's Letus35 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #76
Major Player

Defective Unit.

I think Ben's unit is defective. Does any other unit have the same problem? If any unit shows any abnormal sign, please let me know so we can take care of that, thanks.

Quyen
Old September 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #77
Trustee

Just Kidding.

Boy I crack myself up...

Turns out that it's just my whole tripod assembly that's not too stable. Any slight touch of my camera on my tripod sends it shaking, so pulling focus is very difficult for me. Just make sure your camera is securely fastened to the tripod and make sure the tripod is heavy enough, and you should be OK.

Sorry Quyen! I thought it was the adapter but it's just my setup.
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #78
Major Player

You can check just by using the camera handheld. With the first adapter I built I thought I had a real flexi-flyer until I realized I had the image stabilization on! Once I turned it off I saw that my homemade adapter was indeed quite rigid.

Last edited by Bill Porter; September 18th, 2005 at 09:39 AM.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #79
Major Player

I am unable to post footage as of now but will try to clearly explain the situation. It seems that even after the vibrating GG on my Letus35 is switched on, I still get a static pattern of some sort that moves with the camera lens as I track.
This is not to say the grain doesn't noticeably disappear once switched on, as it does.
Is this the result of the GG not being adequately ground down? I've double checked to make sure it is not in the lens of the Canon FD I shot through.
The pattern is not horrible but is definitely noticeable in tracking shots. On my 20" monitor the effect is is glaring.
Thoughts from anyone on that maybe the glass needs re-grinding?
I'll do my best to get footage up.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #80
Major Player

Eric,
Do you notice any dirt on the glround glass when it is not in motion? It maybe the case and the dirst is not disappearing? Is the effect uniform over the entire frame, or just one area?

Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #81
Trustee

entire frame, I have the same issue, much worse with a 2.8 24mm then it is with a 1.4 50mm on the front, I am trying to track down and help with the cause of this issue, I am thinking if we have the vibrations faster/bigger it will help..not sure yet...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #82
New Boot

You could check the shutter speed on your camcorder. If its set to fast it could pick up the grain of the glass. But in this senario the grain shouldn't be static or uniform...
Jonny Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Eric,
Do you notice any dirt on the glround glass when it is not in motion? It maybe the case and the dirst is not disappearing? Is the effect uniform over the entire frame, or just one area?

Wayne.
Yes, all the optical/glass elements are clean.
The pattern is fairly uniform and covers the entire image. Interesting point with shutter speed, however, Jonny.
I did run through a gamut of shutter speeds with nearly identical results, the pattern still remains.
Would any of you suggest swapping out the GG with one of a finer grain?

I'd like to get this footage up. Any suggestions on where to upload video files so eveyone, including , Quyen, can take a look?
( Sorry, I've been making DV projects for a while now but have never put anything on the web). Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:55 PM   #84
Major Player

Gg

Well give www.yousendit.com the video... It will take a gig...
As far as the GG. I got a 1500 grit 2 inch GG from, Thorlabs for 15.00 I believe. The image looked good BUT I understand Optsigma has even a better 1500 grit GG. Not sure of the price...
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #85
Major Player

Thanks, Craig. If this is the problem I'll look into that.
Also, I want to say that this problem aside, the adapter, for the money, is promising.
Considering Quyen got something out for purchase as opposed to talking about it (my forte) I think he did a very decent job.
I'm sure we'll be seeing a pitch perfect Letus35a? Sometime in the near future. Good job, Quyen.
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #86
Major Player

Eric Brown

Thank you for bringing this up. I will look into that. Any video footage yet? One of possibilities I can think of is one or more of the white parts is too tight or trapped in the rubber parts. You can try this:
Take out the front part then use your fingers gently move the GG plane around about 3mm off center for about 4,5 times.
Also use clean water to gently rub the glass using your finger, then use soft cloth to clean it if the glass has any dirt.
Put it back and try again.
I don't see any grain if I use shutter speed of 180 or less with DV. I don't think HD will affect grain problem but I can be wrong.
Please post let me know if you have any success.
Also your macro size is 72mm, so you should use the cardboard mod on the other Letus35 thread. Thanks.

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #87
Major Player

Eric, Obin,

Did you turn the image stabilization off? I think you did but it won't hurt to ask, thanks.

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #88
Trustee

it's off

It really looks like the gg is not moving fast enough and the camera is "seeing" the grains that are now much larger in size and softer then if the gg motor is off...I don't know how to fix this, would weight on the gg make it better? I have used 4 AA cells on the unit and it's better, but still doing the same thing, and this is somthing you can see at 1/48 shutter...it really shows up on a wall or sky shot, less detail in the image shows the "screendoor" effect....the spinning units don't do this because the gg is spinning at a high speed?

lets get this issue fixed, as this adaptor is amazing, and very good for HD
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #89
Major Player

This video is made using XL1-s and Letus35.
http://www.passouno.net/SPOT.ZIP
Thanks Giuliano Parodi.

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #90
Regular Crew

That looks really good.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods