Review of Quyen Le's Letus35 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Spot.

It looks very good indeed. And yet, color abberation. It's the only bad thing I can say.

Am I expecting too much? Or is this an issue that can be fixed?
Kurt August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #92
Major Player

[QUOTE=Obin Olson]it's off

It really looks like the gg is not moving fast enough and the camera is "seeing" the grains that are now much larger in size and softer then if the gg motor is off...I don't know how to fix this, would weight on the gg make it better? I have used 4 AA cells on the unit and it's better, but still doing the same thing, and this is somthing you can see at 1/48 shutter...it really shows up on a wall or sky shot, less detail in the image shows the "screendoor" effect...

Obin, this describes my experience down to the last detail. Are you using an XL2, Sony, DVX? Quyen, I will try your suggestions and see if this works.
Thanks!
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #93
Trustee

It's a little too soft and too shallow for my tastes. But delicious footage nonetheless.
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #94
Major Player

Kurt August,

Color abberation can be improved and we are working on this issue.

Eric,

Are you using XL2? what setting are you using? Did you see grain on white walls, the sky, or everything? I will test it myself later this week to see if I get the same thing.

Thanks

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #95
Major Player

Hey, Quyen.

Yes, it is the XL2. Settings are:

-3 gain
1/48th shutter
24p
16:9
f1.8

These were intial settings. I've stepped through different f-stops and shutter speeds and the effect remains. I've also tried the OIS on and off and this doesn't change it either.

I'll attempt the loosening of the gg as you suggested and the cleaning and get back with a post sometime today or tomorrow.
Thanks, Quyen.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #96
Trustee

I am getting MUCH better results with the 4 AA system now..I will post some HD test shots with the reel stream setup

still I think we need to re-think the plastic that holds the GG mount as I think more rubber would allow for the GG to "move" a bit more and really get rid of the "screendoor" effect on this unit, improveing it 1000%!!

Quyen???

maybe use some of the rubber from a CD-ROM mount? it's VERY soft and would allow for more play in the GG ...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #97
Trustee

BTW I made a rail mount for the unit and it's SO MUCH BETTER , you can touch the lens, focus etc and the thing does not move at all, no image shake in the shots from pulling focus now!

anyone who has the unit NEEDS to do this mod, take it to a professional level.
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #98
Major Player

Obin,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do all the possibility to get the GG plane to spin faster. Do you have a picture of your rail mount? Thanks.

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #99
Trustee

HD test in a min...compressing it now

Quyen, keep in mind that you will be dealing with LOTS of HD cameras soon, every glass element you have in your unit will have some results on teh final image, I know your unit is not that much money, but put the best glass in it you can afford, we will all see the results in HD ;)
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #100
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Stearns
That looks really good.
Actually I think it looks way too soft. To the point where shots look out of focus.

Quyen Le, could you post a clip shot with the lens stopped down, so the DOF wouldn't be so shallow? Then we can have a better idea of the sharpness of the adapter. As shown in this video, it basicaly not usable for my applications. If you project that, it will look like it's all out of focus. Just not sharp enough.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #101
Trustee

http:////dv3productions.com/HD_dvx/Q_adapter-1.wmv

anyone have comments?

dvx100a Reel Stream output 1280x720 downsize from teh raw HD frames in aftereffects, basic color work in after effects, shot on a 85mm Nikon Nikkor at f1.4 using 4 AA cells to power the Q adapter and the micro35 achromat, mounted to the Micro35 Rail system with a wood mount to hold the front of the Q adapter on the rails so it's stable
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #102
Major Player

Cannot download your footage, any password?
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #103
Major Player

Obin,
What strength macro are you using there?

I cant download your footage, you URL looks odd?

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #104
Trustee

Obin, so far this is the best Lestus35 footage I have seen. It may be because it's HD rez, or because you are using the Micro35 achromat lens, which would indicate the Letus35 macro is of lower quality. But even though, it's nothing extraordinary. I think your footage with the realstream and the micro35 DIY looked sharper. Could you post some footage shot outside, maybe some trees, with wide shots and close ups?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #105
Major Player

Ok,
The URL had //// instead of // downloaded now. Footage looks great, nice and sharp. What strength macro are you using with the dvx100a?

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods