DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   DP Reel - Mostly Mini35/XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/50159-dp-reel-mostly-mini35-xl2.html)

Eric MacIver August 28th, 2005 12:19 PM

DP Reel - Mostly Mini35/XL2

I just finished quickly cutting together a DP reel for myself yesterday, and thought I might as well post it here, because about 90% of the footage in it was shot w/ the Mini35 and XL2.

Enjoy (hopefully):
http://www.madmojo.com/emaciver.html

Oh - and I should point out that the steadicam work in Limb from Limb was done by our own Charles Papert.

Dennis Hingsberg August 28th, 2005 06:36 PM

Great work Eric!

Samuel Smith October 25th, 2005 01:27 AM

Questions

Hey Eric,

First of all, excellent work. I had a couple of questions:

Are you using the Mini-35 300 series or the newest one. I ask because I see a lot of night & low-light shots and am wondering how you avoided the "swirlies" on the screen.

Despite our best efforts on our XL-2 with the Mini-35, in any type of low-light situation, we're getting the swirling action from the ground glass. We're starting to get frustrated at the limitations that it's putting on us for production.

Also what types of lenses were you using. Brands, speeds, etc. Any information on how you got such nice quality would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Sam

Samuel Smith October 25th, 2005 01:27 AM

Questions

Hey Eric,

First of all, excellent work. I had a couple of questions:

Are you using the Mini-35 300 series or the newest one. I ask because I see a lot of night & low-light shots and am wondering how you avoided the "swirlies" on the screen.

Despite our best efforts on our XL-2 with the Mini-35, in any type of low-light situation, we're getting the swirling action from the ground glass. We're starting to get frustrated at the limitations that it's putting on us for production.

Also what types of lenses were you using. Brands, speeds, etc. Any information on how you got such nice quality would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Sam

Jay Rodriguez October 26th, 2005 06:07 AM

Eric, if this is your reel then it isn't doing the job that it should be doing. It's too long and boring. You have really good shots in there. Cut this piece down by 75% and your reel will rock!

Manuel Hernandez-Stumpfhauser October 28th, 2005 11:59 AM

Eric:

Good job.
What kind of steadicam did you use for the XL2?

Charles Papert October 28th, 2005 12:25 PM

Manuel:

In case Eric doesn't get to this in the near future (he's a busy man, running his excellent rental company); in the film he referred to I used his Hollywood Lite system with the XL2, and we pulled the Mini35 off for these shots for 2 reasons: the Lite couldn't carry the weight of the Mini35 package, and it would have required a wireless focus control. Normally for Mini35 shoots I haul out my full-size PRO rig (pix HERE) but I thought it would be interesting to try the little rig on that shoot, and Eric and I were curious if the straight XL2 footage would be cuttable with XL2/Mini35'd footage (and we feel that it was).

Eric MacIver October 30th, 2005 06:45 PM

Thanks Charles :)

And, Jay - I agree... One day I will. Right now this was mostly to serve the purpose of showing rental clients what some of the equipment we rent does, hence the length. I had to cut something together in a few hours - including digitizing tapes from the first shoot on there.

I haven't had much time to try and get DP gigs, but one day when I'm really trying to, I'll try to get the whole thing down to about 4 minutes with footage from twice as many projects.

Thanks for the comments.

Michael Maier October 30th, 2005 08:29 PM

Looks nice. Is it all 24p? Some shots looked more like video than others.
Also, was some of the clips letterboxed? Some of them looked wider than 16:9. Maybe is just the settings of my player.

Eric MacIver October 31st, 2005 01:58 PM

All of it was 16:9, 24p. Some may have looked more like "video" (obviously they were all actually video) due to being shot with a deeper depth of field which would have been done for a variety of reasons. Also could have been compression or other issues, but I'd have to know which clips looked like that to you to determine why.