Build it myself at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Build it myself

Hi everyone. After seeing the projects of jose and the older of realstream on dvx100 , I was thinking it should be a very nice project to build my cam.
I'm having problem identifying the proper chips i should use , as they r mixed with medical class and things.
The idea i using huge ccds to make it ... I've seen a couple of Microns . Is there any way to see the somewhere all together any reseller on these things or something ?
I've heard Epson has some nice ones too ? Any help would be mostly welcome.
Yorwos Paschalidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Build it myself

You may have read about it already but if not, search for Apertus project. There should be some things which may help you in those discussions.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Build it myself

You'll need to contact various chip manufacturers directly for specs. Some of them already have 'ready-made' models listed on their websites.

Unless you're ordering in large numbers (1000+), I'm not sure the economics of scale will work out. But it seems to be cheaper now - like the Digital Bolex and BMCC example. Supposedly the BMCC had an initial batch of 2,000 copies.

Once you buy a few starter chips you'll need to find a good electrical/electronics engineer and software developer who can test various sampling methods and signals from the sensor to see what fits your intended vision. This can last a year. Once the sensor is in place, then you can think of all the other million little details.

The Digital bolex example should give you an indication of the costs involved. Nowadays everybody gets their stuff from China. Think about a 2-3 year period from drawing board to product.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods