DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Canon XL H1 High Definition Camera with Mini35 work ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/51202-canon-xl-h1-high-definition-camera-mini35-work.html)

Dan Lim September 16th, 2005 09:52 AM

Canon XL H1 High Definition Camera with Mini35 work ?

Hi !
Do you know if the upcoming Canon XL H1 High Definition Camera will function with the mini35 ? ...for series 300 + XLH1 ..the mounts work with ?

Thanks
Daniel Limoges

Richard Alvarez September 16th, 2005 10:18 AM

Obviously the fact that they included the ability to 'flip' the image in the viefinder means they are looking at just such a connection. As to whether existing mounts are compatible, I don't know for sure but I'd guess yes. If not, look for adapters to come out about the time the HD lens line comes out.

Mathieu Ghekiere September 17th, 2005 08:14 AM

I think so, didn't the press release said all the mounts were still the same?
And the size of the chips (1/3) are still the same... so I suppose it would work.

Fredrik-Larsson September 17th, 2005 08:41 AM

It's the same XL-mount as used in XL-2. And filterring is 72 mm. I don't know if the mini uses mount or ring...

Kevin Wild September 17th, 2005 09:21 AM

Not sure about the mount stuff, but aren't the lenses different for HD? Wouldn't this soften the signal considerably?

Kevin

Fredrik-Larsson September 17th, 2005 09:57 AM

From what I have figured out it's a standard XL-mount. HD-lenses requires better quality-glasses inside the lense though a normal lense can work. However an SD-lense will probably provide downsides on the HD-material.

Michael Maier September 17th, 2005 10:05 AM

The Mini35 uses cine lenses. not SD lenses. Why is everybody worried about the lower quality of SD lenses for HD?

Dan Lim September 17th, 2005 11:15 AM

Right Micheal !

Any way .I have already the mini35 and I must move towards the HD soon..

I do not have anything has to lose !

Thanks ..I hope that that will works
Daniel Limoges
XL2+minni35

Dan Lim September 17th, 2005 11:19 AM

OH ! last question about cine-lenses ...

which is the less expensive cine-lenses that we can find ....

I already have still nikon lenses ,but for cine-lenses which product ?

Michael Maier September 17th, 2005 11:34 AM

Dan, I think the series 300 was made for the XL1 and you need some sort of adapter to mount it on a XL2. I'm just not sure, as I don't have a Mini35. But if you can get it to fit a XL2, it will most likely fit the new H1. Same mount and same size of chips, same body actually. I don't see why it wouldn't.
But don't quote me on that. Hopefully somebody who knows better will chime in.

Charles Papert September 17th, 2005 12:28 PM

The mount is the important thing, I haven't heard yet whether the distance from the mount to the mounting hole on the base of the XLH1 is the same as the XL2, in which case the packages should be interchangeable. If not, this will require a different mounting base (that attaches the camera to the rods of the Mini35) or an adaptor, as was the case with using an XL2 on a Mini35 set up for the XL1. This is much cheaper in any case than a new relay lens.

Michael Maier September 17th, 2005 12:33 PM

Yeah, I think it cost like $200 or something from ZGC.

Gary McClurg September 17th, 2005 01:52 PM

I know with the DVX you lose stops with the P & S.

Is it the same or would it be the same with the XL2 or the new Canon?

Nick Hiltgen September 18th, 2005 11:46 AM

I understand that using cine lenses wouldn't effect the image too badly for an HD image, but is the current groudglass fine enough to work for an HD chip camera?

Charles Papert September 18th, 2005 12:46 PM

According to Guy at ZGC, yes. They plan to present some resolution charts to prove this. The groundglass on the PRO35 exceed the resolution of the Viper when tested.