New SG35 'Real Spinning Ground Glass Adapter' Commercial version coming soon. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #31
Trustee

Hey Wayne, any news on the tree clips and the new DV clip?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #32
Major Player

Michael,
I cant see it being too long. Im putting my resources into finalising my 15mm rods support right now. Once the support is finished to my satisfaction, ill pop outside and get them shots for ya my friend.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #33
Trustee

Ok thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:22 AM   #34
Major Player

OK guys,
I know people have been wanting to see the unit, but it is not to the point of being a finished product. So instead I have put together 2 of the 15mm rods together with a small piece of hardboard, and my prototype adapter together with my panny cam just for you guys to get a good idea of the size of the unit. adapter box is 150x100x60mm. Notice the small rotary knob on top for speed control.

The final rods support will have a 12mm thick base for the cam to sit on, and another 12mm base that rests on the tripod. Anyhow, this pic is just so you guys can get a 'feel' for the size of the thing.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...0prototype.jpg

Any input would be great.
Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM   #35
Major Player

Project Box

Ther video's look good BUT the Project Box is way to big and bulky. If you are gonna sell this then looks have a big part in sales. And the looks of this have a long way to go.. Sorry for the negative view and again the video looks really good.

As for me I would pay for the motor and GG as it is...
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM   #36
Major Player

Thanks for your input craig.

Dont worry, this aint the finished product:D Just to get an idea of size. As for the dimensions of the box, its the smallest possible to allow a rotating disk to allow a 36x24mm frame. I could have gone 'academy' frame size, but really didnt want to. The final rods will be nice a sturdy. I sujest you draw a 150x100mm square on a peice of paper, then look at it to get a proper idea of the size of the box. Picture quality is my first priorty, then size.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM   #37
Trustee

Also, it looks like while most adapters using a spinning GG have the lens mount on the upper half, yours have it in the lower half. That might be a problem when using a XL2 or HD100, which have viewfinders mounted to the front. Can it be inverted and have the longer part pointing down?
I agree, it does look bulky and quite home made for a commercial version. But I realize you said it's not the final product yet.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM   #38
Major Player

Michael,
The final rod support will be adjustable, so that the box can slide up and down to adjust for different cams. To be honest, thats another reason i posted to pic showing the prototype', to get input in order to modify the commercial unit. Yes thew pic is 'home made', as its taty from me making modification, and the rails support there is just for an idea of size of the unit.

aesthetic looks are going to be nice, and the project box may become a smaller aluminium one for the commercial version. You will see a big improvement in both the aesthetic looks and sturdiness of the final design.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM   #39
Trustee

Wayne, I think you are in the right track. Please don't take my comments in a bad way. I was just trying to make some constructive criticism. Just trying to help ;)
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM   #40
Major Player

Wayne,

With the small size GG, you should be able to shrink the project box by at least half, I would think. The micro35 is big because of the size of the CD, since yours is smaller, it should be able to fit in a smaller unit.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM   #41
Major Player

More footage up!!!

Michael,
Not at all!!!, Without comments like yours, development would be slow, so thanks!!!

I have already decided on a smaller aluminium box for the commercial version.

Mandy, the disk is 90mm, the box is 95mm internal width width, not much room for shrinkage, but there is on the length dimension.

Anyway, here is some more footage up.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...stfootage3.mov (Bill Porter, you know what im going to ask;) hehe.

Anymore sugestions will be helpful,
Thanks, Wayne.

Last edited by Wayne Kinney; September 22nd, 2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM   #42
Tourist

dude...sign me up...is the aluminum box going to be bare aluminum or black? or muave? mark one of these as "sold" when it becomes available...

: )

gary
Gary Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM   #43
Trustee

Hehe. Wayne, is that a project box from radioshack you're using as the enclosure? Ahh, nothing like overpriced pieces of plastic.

You can definately find good-quality metal enclosures used for guitar stomp boxes and the like that are easy to drill through yet extremely well made. I'd suggest something like that.

What does it weigh btw?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM   #44
Major Player

HI,
Ben, Thanks for the sugestion. I have sourced my project box, and its a 120x95x60 box, aluminium.

Smaller then the original ABS box, stronger and better looks. The 15mm rods support will also look sexy,

Thanks for everyones input, its your input that will lead to the best product.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Test footage

Wayne, perhaps a silly suggestion, but you should get out more. Shoot some streets, trees, whatever. I understand filming the same subject shows the evolution, but then you really should be a bit more scientific. Otherwise, try to let it shine in as much different situations possible.

As for a business strategy, try to differentiate. What's your filosophy? Where does it differ from others? Will that be sufficient for the future? Who are your clients? Or, who do you want them to be? Just the basic stuff.
Kurt August is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods