DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Magnet for image flip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/51929-magnet-image-flip.html)

Lloyd Choi September 28th, 2005 11:08 PM

Magnet for image flip

where can you get one of these magnets? Is it a certain type?

Also, will it do any harm to the internal parts? I know putting a magnet near the computer is the worst thing you could do...

thanks

Noah Yuan-Vogel September 29th, 2005 12:00 AM

I got mine at the first little hardware store i could find, I think some people got them as pieces intended as toys for building. You probably need one a little stronger than a fridge magnet (maybe some fridge magnets would even work). The thin ones definitely wont though.

Unless you have some kind of super electromagnet I doubt you have to worry. I mean the whole reason this method of rotating the lcd works is because the camera has a magnet inside of it to begin with. As far as I know magnets arent so bad for computers either, HDDs are usually one of the few magnetic components (therefore they could be susceptible) but I believe they are generally fairly well shielded. Someone tell me if im wrong (I suppose all electronic devices are negatively affected by powerful magnetism to some extent?).

I wouldnt recommend taking out a hard drive, unscrewing the top plate, and then dropping a neodymium magnet inside. Nor setting off an EMP next to your computer/camera.

A magnet might, however, make your computer's CRT monitor turn colors/distorted...

No CRTs or HDDs in your camera though (although perhaps in some cameras)

Chad Schultz September 29th, 2005 04:54 PM

Keep the magnet away from the dv tapes and photo card, it can mess them up pretty good if it's strong enough. Other than that it should be fine.

Ben Winter September 29th, 2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

keep them away from dv tapes and photo card
Nope. You need a professional degausser to erase data off those. Believe me, you need extremely high levels of electromagnetic fields to even begin to wipe off tapes and cards. It's amazing actually. And even at my workplace, where we use a professional degausser, it usually overheats before it's able to wipe the whole tape. So don't even worry about that, actually. You should be fine.

A.J. Briones September 29th, 2005 10:51 PM

can anyone suggest the best way to do this? best practices? suggested magnet size?

thanks so much in advance!

Quyen Le September 29th, 2005 11:48 PM

I don't think VX2100 has magnet in the view finder. My VX2000 only works with internal switch, thanks

Quyen

Rob LaPoint September 30th, 2005 04:21 AM

I've been trying to get the trick to work with my GL1 with no luck. I know that the GL2 uses a magnet so I just assumed that the GL1 did as well. Does anyone else know?