Magnet for image flip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magnet for image flip

where can you get one of these magnets? Is it a certain type?

Also, will it do any harm to the internal parts? I know putting a magnet near the computer is the worst thing you could do...

thanks
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I got mine at the first little hardware store i could find, I think some people got them as pieces intended as toys for building. You probably need one a little stronger than a fridge magnet (maybe some fridge magnets would even work). The thin ones definitely wont though.

Unless you have some kind of super electromagnet I doubt you have to worry. I mean the whole reason this method of rotating the lcd works is because the camera has a magnet inside of it to begin with. As far as I know magnets arent so bad for computers either, HDDs are usually one of the few magnetic components (therefore they could be susceptible) but I believe they are generally fairly well shielded. Someone tell me if im wrong (I suppose all electronic devices are negatively affected by powerful magnetism to some extent?).

I wouldnt recommend taking out a hard drive, unscrewing the top plate, and then dropping a neodymium magnet inside. Nor setting off an EMP next to your computer/camera.

A magnet might, however, make your computer's CRT monitor turn colors/distorted...

No CRTs or HDDs in your camera though (although perhaps in some cameras)
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Keep the magnet away from the dv tapes and photo card, it can mess them up pretty good if it's strong enough. Other than that it should be fine.
Chad Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
keep them away from dv tapes and photo card
Nope. You need a professional degausser to erase data off those. Believe me, you need extremely high levels of electromagnetic fields to even begin to wipe off tapes and cards. It's amazing actually. And even at my workplace, where we use a professional degausser, it usually overheats before it's able to wipe the whole tape. So don't even worry about that, actually. You should be fine.
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Major Player

can anyone suggest the best way to do this? best practices? suggested magnet size?

thanks so much in advance!
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't think VX2100 has magnet in the view finder. My VX2000 only works with internal switch, thanks

Quyen
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've been trying to get the trick to work with my GL1 with no luck. I know that the GL2 uses a magnet so I just assumed that the GL1 did as well. Does anyone else know?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods