DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   New Music Video shot on Sony HDR-FX1E and 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/51998-new-music-video-shot-sony-hdr-fx1e-35mm-adapter.html)

Nicholas Bartleet September 30th, 2005 03:31 AM

New Music Video shot on Sony HDR-FX1E and 35mm adapter

Hi everyone, I have just completed a low budget music video, which I shot on my HDR-FX1e, please take a look, your feedback is welcome. As many of you who have seen my short film 'The Riddle' would know, the vignetting on the video was a desired effect and isn't a trait of the adapter.

I was incredibly impressed with how much better the HDV format is for color grading and correction, and how much more the images could take compared to DV, before they began to break up. This is a fantastic format to work with, and a real pleasure to grade.

I also didn't have the problem, many have mentioned with fast moving objects causing the image to fall apart, all of my frames looked very good with no compression artifacts, and only one dropout on the entire shoot.

I did have fairly low expectations from the camera, however I was incredibly impressed with the results, which are infinitely clearer and sharper than DV when down converted to SD. I definatly won't shoot DV again.

Anyway, here is the link to the video, I just wish everyone could see the quality of the original.

http://www.pixelloft.com/3lflex.htm

Nick

Wayne Kinney September 30th, 2005 04:11 AM

Nick,
As with all your work, this looks amazing, man. Inspirational and actually reminds us of the reason we are building these adapters in the first place - TO BE CREATIVE!!!

Truely amazing work, Nick.

Wayne.

Lloyd Choi September 30th, 2005 12:44 PM

I like that girls Ninja Turtle shirt :)

Great video man.

edit: Curious.. what was the budget on this?

Nicholas Bartleet September 30th, 2005 12:46 PM

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it,.

I thought that shirt was pretty cool to....Retro baby!

Eric Brown September 30th, 2005 12:46 PM

Nick, what mode did you shoot in. CF24, 30 mode? Awesome work, man.

Nicholas Bartleet September 30th, 2005 12:48 PM

CF25 Pal Version
I did some quick tests and couldn't see any real degredation in image quality between 1080i and the 1080CF25, so i kept it nice and easy with no de-interlacing.

Hope this helps, Nick

Eric Brown September 30th, 2005 12:59 PM

Am I missing something? I keep hearing people say how bad the CF mode is on this camera but yet I keep seeing some darn nice footage. Once, again. Very inspiring work, Nick.

Noah Yuan-Vogel September 30th, 2005 01:27 PM

well i suppose cf25 doesnt have to do as much work converting 50i to "25p" as cf24 does trying to convert 60i to "24p". the former probably only requires some deinterlacing whereas the latter requires a more imperfect conversions and probably a less accurate result.

Eric Brown September 30th, 2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel
well i suppose cf25 doesnt have to do as much work converting 50i to "25p" as cf24 does trying to convert 60i to "24p". the former probably only requires some deinterlacing whereas the latter requires a more imperfect conversions and probably a less accurate result.

Good, point, Noah. Thanks.

Eric Brown September 30th, 2005 02:20 PM

Nick, one more thing. I noticed it looks like you used a Formatt Matte box on your rig. (I could be wrong but it looks like one)
What type of rod system are you using to connect it to the Formatt? And more importantly how does it connect?

Nicholas Bartleet October 1st, 2005 04:59 AM

Hi there, this is a formatt matte box, the 15mm rod support system for the entire device was built by me with the help of an engineering firm from aluminium and stainless steel. The mounting bracket was also made by me, and is simply drilled and bolted onto the matte box.
Hope this helps

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn October 1st, 2005 06:43 PM

could anyone experienced tell me if CF25 produces less Mpeg2 artefacts than 50i ??

Nicholas Bartleet October 2nd, 2005 04:26 AM

I shot in CF25 and found that the quality was very good, and there wasn't any really noticable mpeg compression. This was something I was worried about having heard all of the horror stories on the forums, however, even with a fast shutter speed and fast action, I couldn't notice and blocky compression on a frame by frame basis during grading.

Hope this helps.

Eric Brown October 2nd, 2005 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
Hi there, this is a formatt matte box, the 15mm rod support system for the entire device was built by me with the help of an engineering firm from aluminium and stainless steel. The mounting bracket was also made by me, and is simply drilled and bolted onto the matte box.
Hope this helps

Ah, homecrafted. The only way to go if you can do it. Thanks, Nick.

Although... the Cavison rod system is darned cheap and probably easy to modify...decisions.

Ben Winter October 2nd, 2005 09:12 PM

I just ordered the Cavision rod support from B&H. I'll let you know how it is and provide pics too.

By the way Nick, I'm noticing chromatic aberration on that music video of yours. It seems to be an inherant problem with a lot of these adapters.