Review of the Matty35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 5th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Review of the Matty35

Here's some sample footage:

http://home.comcast.net/~kittyluv/random.mov

The images of people outdoors are a little soft since the relay lens got shifted a bit OOF. But much of the rest is sharp.

2.5 stops light loss maybe a bit more, but the final version will lose about 2 I'd expect.

There's dust on the focusing screen since I made a silly mistake and the inside flakes off a bit. Oops. But it's not too visible, you can only see a chunk or two.

Am I going to sell these things? Of course not, no. But I'll make a GOOD guide with instructions for how to build one for about 70 dollars or less with a metal nikon F-mount and 72mm threads (should work with dvx100a/fx1/xl2).
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Major Player

http://home.comcast.net/~kittyluv/35mm1.jpg
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Excellent footage Matt!!

So the new wax really paid off? I guess that wax you sent me was not as good?

I see the speck of dust moving around the screen slightly, was the adapter held on the cam? I also see slight vignetting (very slight) in some of the shots. The clips seem to have nice colour and contrast, though. Nice work.

Could we see a pic of the adapter?

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #4
Major Player

I have to be honest: the microwax I sent you definitely has much more grain than the brand I later bought elsewhere. Oddly, the only difference I noticed (at least superficially) was that the wax I'm using now has a slight amber tint, like beeswax, but is colorless enough to look virtually the same when a thin enough layer is made. (It looks white in the adapter, but the block itself is tinted.) I don't know what the difference is, otherwise, since I've been using the same methods, but the granularity is far less.

I have pics somewhere online but I forget the URL. I'll try to find them later. It's black painted PVC pipe glued to a metal nikon F mount and 72mm ebay macro filter with a wax/glass sandwich inside (and a condenser) for what it's worth.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods