DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Has anybody actually come up with a relay lens that work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/53122-has-anybody-actually-come-up-relay-lens-work.html)

Michael Maier October 21st, 2005 06:05 AM

Has anybody actually come up with a relay lens that work?

A little while ago, there was a lot talking about finding an affordable relay lens for the XL2. Has anybody actually done anything?
There was this gigantic thread on the subject, but it ended in nothing really. So, how many out there have a relay lens that works, and how have you done it.
I'm trying some solutions right now, but not having much success.

Quyen Le October 21st, 2005 08:06 AM

Yes, I do have a prototype that works, but what is the info that you are searching for? Thanks.

Quyen

Michael Maier October 21st, 2005 09:28 AM

Nice. What lens are you using for the relay? Are you selling them? How much? In what mount?

Quyen Le October 21st, 2005 09:43 AM

I am developing them for HD100 and XL1/XL2. I don't use premade relay lens like other does. I build my relay lens, so there is no name. The projected price for the whole adapter that include rod support is $1000, I am planning to make 2 models, 1 for 24x36 (SLR lens) and 1 for 18x24 (cine lens). Same price. It also has iris to get better result, thanks for asking.

Quyen

Michael Maier October 21st, 2005 10:29 AM

Making your own? What type of glass are you using? For the HD100, that's very important. How about light control?

Quyen Le October 21st, 2005 10:34 AM

Glass? from good elements on achor optics. Iris is for light control, thanks.

Quyen

Michael Maier October 21st, 2005 10:37 AM

Are going the 2 achromats together way, as was talked a little while ago in the XL2 35mm adapter thread?

Pekka Uotila October 22nd, 2005 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I am developing them for HD100 and XL1/XL2. I don't use premade relay lens like other does. I build my relay lens, so there is no name. The projected price for the whole adapter that include rod support is $1000, I am planning to make 2 models, 1 for 24x36 (SLR lens) and 1 for 18x24 (cine lens). Same price. It also has iris to get better result, thanks for asking.

Quyen

Queyn,
I'm pleased to hear that you have already a demo of relay lense for those cameras. And it is great if there is an iris in it aswell!
There is just one thing that I think people should be aware, when planning to use cinelenses.
To my opinion, 18x 24 mm is just a general term to cine frame.
The exact cineframe sizes are:
35 mm Full Aperture is 24.92 x 18.67mm.
35mm Academy is 21.95 x 16 mm.
Many older lenses were made to cover only academy format, specially the wide angles might not cover 35 mm Full Aperture.
Forexample, such a nice lense as Peleng 8 mm, does not cover Full frame. It only covers the academy, when the aspect ratio is 1,66 or 1,85.
So, I just feel that it would better if your relay lense is made for Academy Negative size 21.95 x 16 mm.
It would be also very very good if you could make your support rod system to some standard that already exists (or that yours can be easily replaced), it would allow people to use various quality matte boxes with 4" or 3" filters, that they already might have.
All the best

Quyen Le October 22nd, 2005 07:27 AM

Pekka Uotila

Rod support, as far as I know, it's 15mm and 60mm apart center to center? Please help me to verify this so my rods will be in standard size. I will do 21.95 x 16 instead then. My rod system will allow the adapter to move up and down and the camera to move left and right, do you foresee any problem with this kind of setup? Thanks.

Quyen

Pekka Uotila October 22nd, 2005 01:00 PM

Hi, Queyn,
I tried to measure the distances as accurately as possible from my "16 mm light weight support system" and I believe your numbers are correct (15mm and 60mm apart center to center). The shortest distance from the centerline between the 15mm rods to the center of the lense is about 85 mm (the same matteboxes work with 16mm Arri and Aaton).
The rods (two different types with same distances) I have are made from aluminium and stainless steel. In both cases there is a thread at the end of the rod so the length can be adjusted by adding an other pieces of rod, so that the rod's lenght is ideal for the lense that is used.
Just like you have planned , I think it is good that the support system is adjustable in all ways to a certain limit. Sometimes it is better to make just two or even more versions of a certain part that can be changed.
Well, I believe you are aware of this but I just remember from past a phrase from one very experienced camera-assistant:
"If it fits for all, it is not really very good for anything".
I hope this helps.

Dan Diaconu October 22nd, 2005 01:47 PM

15mm Carbon fiber rods

15mm carbon fiber rods: (12" and 16")
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album40/IMGA1611
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album40/IMGA1612
Distributors wanted. Email me if you need large quantities.

Matthew Wauhkonen October 23rd, 2005 03:20 PM

Dan, how much for one set of 16'' rods?

Dan Diaconu October 23rd, 2005 04:52 PM

$52 ($40 plus $12s&h)
(get 100 or 500 for less...)