Working DIY adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks! It's a very nice looking image. :)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Just a reminder that instead of using the ground glass and condenser, you can buy the Nikon D Screen, which has less grain and a built-in condenser, from bhphotovideo.com and put it in this type of adapter by glueing it into a retaining ring--it fits perfectly:

http://www.astronautradiomusic.com/nikonscreen1.jpg
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #18
Tourist

So that is the Nikon D screen glued into one of these? http://thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cf...tGroup_ID=1535
Is that the tube for 2" optics?

I have a question for Jimmy, the gg and the convex lens are fit inside the tube? Or are they mounted on the outside? Would it be possible for your to post a closeup picture of the adapter by itself. I really enjoyed the videos from your site and would like to emulate the effect you have created. Any help would be appreciated.
David Torcivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #19
Trustee

To answer all of your questions, yes it's glued into one of those retaining rings for the 2" 52mm optics tube. The GG and convex lens are mounted inside the tube, sandwiched between two retaining rings.
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #20
New Boot

Thanks Ben! I will try to take some photos when I start building my next version of the adapter. Maybe during the week...but I have to buy some christmas presents to!
Jimmy Herdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #21
Tourist

That'd be wonderful. I would love to see some photos.

Thanks for the clarification. Another question, is there a forumla to determine the proper spacing between the gg, convex lens, and camera or is it simply guesswork?

I'm sorry if I seem probing but you just place the gg and convex lenses right next to each other within the optic tube, touching? I can wait until Jimmy posts his photos to find out but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to do this.
David Torcivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #22
New Boot

I have a retainingring between the gg and the planoconvex lens (about 2mm). I will try to move the plaoconvex lens about 2 cm from the gg, when I tried this by just holding the lenses I noticed this give me a straight picture over the whole gg. Thers is different distance between difrent planoconvex lenses. Mine have a focal length of 70mm, I don't know the relationship between focallength and the best distance from the gg, I think you have to use your eye to decide.
Jimmy Herdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #23
Major Player

Jimmy,
You may want to read my thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50884

One thing about moving the PCX lens away from the GG is you start to get more chromatic aberation, as the 35mm frame is magnified and gets closer to the edge of the PCX lens.
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #24
Major Player

Ben,

What are you finding to be a better device - the Letus Mod, or the static adapter with the thorlabs that you created?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #25
Trustee

I'm finding that the Optosigma works fine, but only in very intense light situations: you'd be restricted to shooting outdoors or with good lighting inside. The Letus35 modified with more battery power works very, very well in all situations. When I had my optosigma static adapter based on Mellor's design, the PCXL was right up against the ground glass touching it with no space inbetween. It gave me some distortion around the edges, which was expected but easy to zoom away from. Chromatic abberation was minimal and there was zero vignetting, of course. Like I said, the only other hurdle is grain which can be eliminated with enough light, and if you so choose you should sandwich two of them together so it diffuses enough.
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #26
Major Player

Please check my thread here for my results with my old optosigma static adapter:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47625

Video at the bottom seems to have been taken off the server, sorry
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #27
New Boot

Hi everyone !

I am new here , I've been following lots of threads and its been very exiting. Also it seems lots of people decided to buy ready made adapters , I am glad to see people enjoying designing homemade 35mm adapter.

Jimmy > Very nice design , Good footage too !
I am impressed with the quality you've got so far ,can't wait for the new version.

I am starting my kit soon hopefully and I've seen you're using the stackable lens tube, I am not sure how this work though... Do you have a standard length size for it ?
I understand you can setup the retaining rings inside so you can adjust the Flange Focal Length as desire but after you have the 'left over' of the tube to deal with :( if its too long it might create some problem no ?
Not sure I made my self clear so let me know ;)

BTW , I checked your website and Already knew lots of those sites, just didn't know it was you > Well done man ;)
Pete LeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I think Jimmy is using the Thorlabs tube, but not sure of the length (he'll tell us once he finishes the new version of the adapter). A lot of people are building it based on the Richard Mellor design which uses a 2" tube.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....23&postcount=1

The G35 adapter "tube" is 5" long. This means that the "left over" space isn't a problem. In fact, after quite some poking around on the forums, it seems that moving the gg further away from the camcorder lens helps with sharpness and barrel distortion.
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Great clips. My favorite was the second one. I noticed that you used a condenser with an FL of 70mm. Can you comment on why you chose that because some folks are recommending FL of 85mm and all the way to 160mm(Wayne Kinney)? Also, Andy Gordon mentions that "70 or 80 between the GG and SLR lens caused the edges of the image to blur".

And Ben, I am having hard time figuring out your stance on the Nikon D focusing screen. On the 17th, you posted that Nikon D has "less grain and a built-in condenser" then GG(Are you referring to Optosigma?). On the the 19th(In a different thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56393), you said that you would only use Nikon D in the non-static solution. I am confused.
Dmitriy Uchakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #30
Trustee

I was referring more to my personal situation, in that I own a Letus35 and if I had a Nikon D screen I'd just swap it out with the GG in the Letus since it's basically the same size. I also have gripes with the Nikon D screen getting major grain problems at high aperture settings. At 1.4 though, I think it beats out the Optosigma glass.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods