Things that are wrongly over/underpriced - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #16
Major Player

I was going to make a joke about how unless you are REALLY good in the shop, it will take you more effort to reproduce a jib than yourself...

however, I will refrain
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Major Player

LOL...........................
Quite true......
but then again, if "Mother Lathy" and "Aunt Milly", receive the "blessing" from an "HAL9000 computer" (CNC) they’d do well too..(while humans can carry on with.... regular business)lol

Last edited by Dan Diaconu; November 6th, 2005 at 05:41 PM.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

A matte box isn't a "bent piece of metal" - some of the boxes out there are quite flimsy and overpriced for what they are, but a nice Chrosziel f'r instance... it's a really well made precision piece of kit - fine tolerances - well machined and made from numerous materials.

If you want a cheap matte box - look at

http://stores.ebay.com.au/This-Is-No...enameZL2QQtZkm

"This is not a Toy" sells matte boxes, skateboard dolly kits etc for quite low prices - not as cheap as you might make them yourself - but pretty cheap none the less.

Anyway - if you look at a good matte box / follow focus, and think what the *world market* is for these things, the prices ain't too bad, considering the expertise that goes into them. Sure the Arri FF units are waaaaay expensive - likewise for matteboxes - but a good box with adjustable side wings and a flag is really a very well made and specific thing.

-j
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #19
Major Player

next time you visit bhphoto's web site , do a search for Sailwind;

their Pro Vignetta Bellows is so cost effective - with rack and pinion focusing rail and takes up to two 3x3 filters and magnetic mattes as well

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #20
Major Player

Does anyone else get scared by magnetic mattes?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

3 x 3 filters are not too hot for widescreen cameras :-)
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #22
Trustee

Works great for me, since GL2s just crop the 4:3 image natively. Thanks!
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #23
Trustee

Sry for the double post, but let's say I buy the sailwind bellows...what kind of adapter ring do I need to attach it to the front of my Canon FD lens? Hasselblad? 52mm? Heeeelp!
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #24
Major Player

Ben,
You may start with one lens (or you may have more than one!) but attaching "that" straight to the lens may not be the best solution. First is weight and second, you may want to change the lens during shooting. Hence the different front sizes...

The whole "idea" of a MB is convenience and the ability to use the same filters on different lenses. I do not know if they provide a "rods support" but I was looking at it and I think it would be good to have one (for this sailwind or another). I have the rods mount and have to "sort it out" for myself as well. I have not yet decided for a MB. I would prefer to have them made for me (as I think they should be made) and this will take about two months. (I'll make more than one this time). If you have a rods support for your camera/adapter (whatever the brand) I am sure you will benefit having the MB mounted on the rods. Email me if you need help with the rods mount for sailwind.
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #25
Major Player

Ben,

You need a XXmm to Series 8 adapter ring, where XXmm is your cam filter size, but as Dan says for different lenses you would need a rods support system so the Sailwind could be mounted - easy enough since the rack and pinion system that the bellows uses could be drilled to accept and attach a two hole rod plate.

I use the Pro Vignetta and it is well made and I much prefer the bellows look as a light baffle.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks John,
One thing I forgot to mention: whether you zoom-in or out (camcorder) or you change primes, different focals need different shading. A fixed MB will be good for wide (only) or otherwise will cut in the frame at wide angle. If that's the case, for other lenses you'll need French flags and sides and so on. Why bother? The bellows ARE the only ones to do for all lenses and zoom positions. Period.
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #27
Trustee

I forgot to mention I bought the Cavision rod system about a month ago, so yes I do have that. So Series 8 is basically what I need? thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods