Things that are wrongly over/underpriced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Things that are wrongly over/underpriced

I've got two on my list:

Matte boxes, and follow focus systems.

I congradulate Dan on producing a great FF for a good price, but nobody's managed to machine a good-quality matte box (aluminum or what have you) for under $300. Anyone have anything to add to the list? I think we've crossed off "35mm adapter" :)
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, you are right about that.
We need to start working on some other projects that are beneficial to all Indie movie makers.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Major Player

If you have any sketch/info on this, I will talk to a machine shop to see if they can do it. I wonder if how many people interested on buying this at under $300?

Quyen
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Quyen, If you can machine a matte box with french flags preferably rod-mounted for around $200, I'd buy it without thinking. $300 would make me mull it over for a really long time. I'll see if I can find you any information, but I do know that 16:9 would be preferrable.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I wonder if how many people interested on buying this at under $300?

Quyen
consider this post my pre-order.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I've got two on my list:

Matte boxes, and follow focus systems.

I congradulate Dan on producing a great FF for a good price, but nobody's managed to machine a good-quality matte box (aluminum or what have you) for under $300.
Well, there is Formatt in UK here, with a lens-mounted Matte box for around 100 GBP (c.170 USD). Opinions vary as to its pros and cons, but at that price, it's got to be one of the best value.

These come up on eBay regularly around that price.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Before you go ahead and start building on your own “god knows what” just for the sake of cheap prices, check with me, please. I have been looking at matte boxes for some time and I might have a good idea what should be there and what not.

Specifically for SLR lenses but good for plain camcorders as well (keeping in mind the more and more popular 16:9 ratio).

Design for a percentage of the revenue. Plain and simple.

Look at "other interpretations" of the real things from big companies on the market. Cheaper than anything else. Good? You know better, and if you don't you'll learn paying. I have my hands full with FF, no time for MB, but at least, if something comes out of it, I am sure you’ll be happy.

BTW.
If anyone wants to SEE the gears and FF, I made a DVD (intended for customers only).
I can send it to you, so you know what to expect up front if you will need a FF ( and not just for the lower price).
Pay Pal me $5 (to cover the DVD, Pay Pal commission and postage) and decide for yourselves.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Trustee

$200 for a decent (not even talking good here) matte box is not a realistic price. We all want more affordable gear, but asking for quality at ridiculously low prices is just that, ridiculous. Just my opinion.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Finally........ words of wisdom!
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #10
Trustee

I think $200-$300 is reasonable for a dumb bent piece of metal. I know you guys want rotating filter holders or whatnot, but all I want is the shade and the french flags with two holes in the bottom for rods. Get any higher and you might as well buy the Formatt FM 500.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

hii

Matte box and Follow focus for under $300 and I'll buy two.
:) jimi
Jimi Colteryahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Colteryahn
Matte box and Follow focus for under $300 and I'll buy two.
:) jimi
Haha, agreed.
Jeff Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #13
New Boot

How about camera jibs and cranes? I know there are lots of DIY plans floating around, but something more professional and sturdy would be really interesting. Most of the really good mid-range jibs (Jimmy Jib Lite $2700+, Porta-Jib $2700+, EZFX $1200+, etc.) seem to be way overpriced and require a number of expensive accessories to be truly useful.
Stephen Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Cranes are easy to build, but very difficult to get just right. It is like Dan said, you can build all of these things at home cheaply, but if you want it perfect (and one with servos, tilting mechanisms etc) - it takes alot of time and effort (r & d) and therefore the person will not sell it very cheaply. But having said that, cranes for shots require about $50-100 worth of material for the aluminum, pulleys, tripod, wire, L bracket etc.
Most importantly is trying to do these things yourself. Like Oscar said, information should be freely available and that info should really enable us! Try it FIRST yourself, then seek another method if you can't do it.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
cranes for shots require about $50-100 worth of material for the aluminum, pulleys, tripod, wire, L bracket etc
While all the elements in a human body are worth about $7-8. Some price to pay.. hey?
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods