Zeiss Lenses for Mini35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Tourist

Zeiss Contax mount

Hi

I have recently purchased the Mini35 converter for my DVX100A, with the ziess contax mount. But I'm a little scared to purchase any lenses for it, because I don't know what is the best. So if anyone had any suggestions I would LOVE to here them.

thanks for you time.

Matt
Matt Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's difficult to go wrong with Zeiss glass, I say. However, because you have the Contax mount, you also have access to the cheapest way to build a nice wide array of lenses. You can get a Contax->M42 adapter, which lets you mount screw-mount lenses onto the mini35. There are lots of Zeiss Jena lenses out there in screwmount format, like the Distagon 20/2.8, the 35mm/2.4, the 50/1.8, the 80/1.8, the 135/3.5 and the 200/2.8. Those are the lenses I used with the DVX/mini35, and the results were superb.

Genuine Contax-mount Zeiss lenses will be newer-design and probably faster, but undeniably more expensive. The lenses I listed go on ebay for usually anywhere from $40 to $150, maybe up to $250 for the more rare ones (like the 80mm).

We used the mini35 with Zeiss SuperSpeed cine lenses, and also with the inexpensive M42-mount lenses (by using the M42->Contax adapter). Other than the cheap lenses being slower speed, it was nearly impossible to tell the difference between the pricey SuperSpeeds and the cheap still camera lenses. MiniDV cameras just don't have enough resolution to tell the difference, especially after being diffused by the ground glass in the mini35.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Barry,
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Tourist

Hey Barry

Is it possible to use a Phoenix Wide Angle 24mm f/2.8 Manual Focus Lens for Contax / Yashica, with the M42? And how good is Phoenix glass?

thanks

matt
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well, if it's for Contax/Yashica, then you could mount it directly to the mini35. There is no Contax-lens-to-screw-mount-body adapter, that I know of... it goes the other way, screw-mount-lens-to-Contax-body.

As for Phoenix glass, I've never heard of it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Zeiss Prime lens help

Hi, I have just purchased a second hand mini35 300. And will be using my Xl1.
I've been looking around at lenses and came across a set of Zeiss Primes. These lenses are: 16-24-32-50-85-135 both Distagons and Planars, T stop 2.2/2.4 (135 is T4) in PL mount.

Will these lenses be fast enough for my mini 35?
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you have enough light, they will be fast enough. ;)

Actually, plenty fast for exterior, and fast enough for interior with the addition of a minimum of supplemental lighting. The Mini is a production tool that tends to benefit from all the things that go with shooting film. Like lighting. And these lenses are fast enough
to light for with units in a budgets price range. Kino flows, tweenies etc.

In an average top down flo- lit room, with these lenses, wide open, you would be just under a usable exposure. Ad a couple of fixtures to sex it up, and violla!!

The T4s a problem though for interior if your lit for your other lenses. It will need over twice as much light.

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net
http://www.jasonbrunner.com
http://www.fleurpost.net

(Thats just, like, my opinion, man)
Jason Brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Jason. I think if i can get him down a couple of hundred pounds from what he's asking. I'll go for it. :-)
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Arri STD mount

Does the mini 35 accept an ARRI STD mount?
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

>>Does the mini 35 accept an ARRI STD mount?<<

I do not believe it does, however ARRI STD to PL adapters do exist. I would ask someone at ZGC if there are any specific considerations.

Jason Brunner
jason@aros.net
http://www.jasonbrunner.com
http://www.fleurpost.net

(Thats just, like, my opinion, man)
Jason Brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #11
New Boot

distagons

Apparently, P&S Technic recommend not using the Distagon lens series with their adapter. For what that's worth.
Toby Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Did they say why? I mailed them about whether a PL mount to arri adapter would work, they said it "might work". I think i'll give these lenses a miss. Thanks for the info guys. You've saved me money and a headache.
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Zeiss Lenses for Mini35

I keep seeing Zeiss lenses for "Contax" cameras. Is that a motion picture lens, and if so, is it good for my Mini35? if not, what other affordable Zeiss lenses can you recommend? I am new, so please forgive me ignorance.

Thanks
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #14
Wrangler

Those are still camera lenses, and they are quite good. Recommendations to Zeiss lenses that you may have heard or read refer to the motion picture variety; if you are using still lenses, there are a host of other manufacturers that will deliver fine results as well as Zeiss (Nikon, Canon etc). If you have been looking at still lenses, there really aren't any "affordable" cine lenses, relatively speaking. You might find some offbeat Russian primes somewhere but they will likely cost signficantly more than still lenses.
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Charles. I do have a few Nikon lenses, but they seem to be a bit dark, I pressume because they are still and not enough light comes in, so I wanted to get the Motion Picture lenses. I guess I have to wait until I can afford the Zeiss prime lenses.

Can you or somesle explain the main difference between Zeiss prime lenses and Nikon or Zeiss still lenses. Perhpas quality etc.

Thanks
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods