Got my Letus35A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Got my Letus35A

This is for the people who are thinking of getting a letus35a. I haven't tested the unit yet - but when i do, i will let you all know.

In the meantime, I'd like to say that Quyens customer service is second to none. I'm from the UK and I ordered the letus35a about a week and a half ago. So the turnaround time was terrific. I recieved it well packaged, clean and in working order. I haven't tested it yet, but I will be testing it with a Z1E and dvx100. One thing that struck about the unit first off was how light it was. So run and gun shooting shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, that's my feedback. Let's hope the tests are satisfactory - because i am a very meticulous person!
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yasser,

I have just ordered one from Quyen, looking to compare it to Waynes SG35.. what are your thoughts so far, what lenses are you using..?

Where are you based in the UK.. ?
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have just ordered one also. Just got some Canon FD lenses from ebay. Be interested to see your results. I'm planning on using it with the XL2. I won't be able to flip the viewfinder image, but the external LCD I have can flip the image.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey, I also live in the UK, so your test will be watched carefully by me.
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello UK boys. Drop me a mail or PM, I am based in Slough Quinn, and yes you are correct like you i am also testing with Waynes and Quyens. You're in London. Drop me an email - we should hook up.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Got my adapter today. Superfast service from Quyen. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week.

Only problem with is, I have no lenses yet!! They are still on the way from ebay.

When they arrive I'll put some test footage up. I don't have much webspace though, anyone suggestions where I can put it ?
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM   #7
Old Boot

London here!

Oh yes, lads count me in - I wanna see hear direct info ion this - PLEASE!

Anybody SKYPE? We could then call each other AND share frame grabs? Wanna do it ? I do .. .

Email all now ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Yasser,

Hows the Letus tests coming along? What lenses are you using.?
Still awaiting mine to arrive..
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Trustee

Talk to Chris Hurd--he'll get you uploading privs for this site.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have done some tests with the letus35a. Seems to need a lot of light. (only tested it out at night with "house" lights). Using a canon FD 1.8 50mm lens. Aligning the adapter was easy, although the thread adapter that screws into the XL-2 isn't fixed to the rest of the letus35, so when you operate the focus it has the effect of wobbling. Not sure if this was supposed to be screwed in ??

However, all that said, the results are excellent. I guess I need to wait until the weekend to get some time in daylight to really give it a go properly.
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Declan,

I too will use a FD 50mm f1.8, went into Jessops last night and it was the only Fd lense they had, ideally looking for the 1.4 but when i asked the price i had to get it... £16 (mint condition)

Did you have the 50 wide open? If so how do you open it up? I mean can you attach it to the Letus and then manually open the iris or have you applied the 'lock the pin gizmo theroy' open with 'toothpicks, breadties etc..!
Interested as i'll be doing the same shortly..

I used an EF 50mm 1.8 on Waynes SG unit and its pretty good wide open under indoor lights.. will give it a serious run on the weeknd as my new SG35 base has arrived so can attach it to the tripod,

Anyway, keep me posted on your tests and how you manage the iris on the Fd's
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quinn

I just attached the lens to the letus35. The aperature setting on the lens does nothing when attached. It looks like it is fully open (at it's widest), which I also believe is the default from reading other threads here. My understanding was the toothpick approach was to enable you to stop down the lens, which I don't want to do.

To be honest, even the XL-2 without the adapter needed gain under my house lights. I should have got the light kit out but was just too eager to try it. At the weekend, under daylight conditions, I will give it a proper go. Seriously impressed with the DOF though and the quality looks good through the viewfinder.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods